Wall-Mart has been my primary tackle shop. I was wondering what tackle shops you more-experienced anglers go to. Wall-Mart has good prices, but a limited selection. I'm Hoping some of you go to shops with Cabela's selection and Wall-Mart-ish prices.

Posted Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:59 am

Cabela's selection and Wall-Mart-ish prices.

That maight be a tall order! I have never been to Connecticut Outfitters (Wethersfield?), but, as a Cabela's employee, I can say that those guys are our leading competitor for fishing supplies (prices and selection). One thing about Walmart: it's tough to beat those $30 rod/reel combos. Cabela's will have them, but only certain times of the year. As for myself, it is tough for any other tackle shop to beat my employee discount!

I will go to Frank's (Marlborough) for live bait and emergencies, but he is pretty small.

Posted Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:02 pm

It all depends what kind of gear you are looking for. CT outfitters is NO bargain, they stock or can order most anything you want, and have a couple very knowledgeable people working there if you need info. I find it VERY hard to believe they are a strong competitor to Cabela's, seriously!
Cabela's is no bargain either unless you hit a sale of have a coupon.
I am all for supporting your local little guy and I do and will continue, but when they rape you for small items that I can purchase on line for a third of the cost, that's the way I go.

Posted Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Spread the wealth (or debt) is my moto! I try and buy local when I can, which for me is CT Outfitters or Fishin' Factory. If they go under, I've got no local source for bait, etc. However, I buy a ton from Cabelas combining my points, coupons and online Bargain Cave stuff for big savings. I'm almost always buying at 50-75% off "retail." Just can't afford to pass up such good deals. If I'm going to pay Cabelas full price, I can usually get it for close to the same locally. Know what you need and want and if possible, wait until you find it on sale. Watch out for local sales, constantly monitor Cabelas online Bargain Basement. Buy as much as you can at the end of each season when it is cleared out. If you invest in good hardware, and take care of it, it can last a lifetime. I was fishing Sunday with a 50 year old Penn #130 Sailfisher that was my grandfather's and looks like new, while my brother used my Diawa Saltist outfit. Most importantly, keep fishin' and having fun! Very Happy

Posted Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:52 pm

I have only been to cabela's a few times and i like going through the sale crates (how i got an X-Rap Shad Sureset for 5$) and the bargain cave, as well as the rows upon rows of gear. I was just hoping i could find this somewhere other than East Hartford, as it is an hour away.

Posted Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Check eBay you will find some great deals. When you consider the sales tax you pay at the counter, the shipping cost on eBay is not a big deal, delivered to your door without paying a cent in gas money. Wink

Posted Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:45 pm

I try to spread the wealth as well. I like tackle warehouse out of vegas for most of my on the net stuff, check ebay regular and make several trips a year to cabela's. The only local shop i had that was any good was we tu on long pond and he is going under. He had decent prices on some stuff and there was no tax because he is on the res. Most all shops are focused on salt around new london where i am, and walmart gets a lot of my buisness due to ease and price. I will pay more for a good selection, but try to not get raped.

Posted Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:12 pm

I buy bait at Farr's Sporting Goods in Manchester all season long. They always have eels when I need them. They also have sandworms,frozen bait and freshwater live bait all year long. I also buy tackle there. There isn't a huge selection but they have a little of everything,just about all the go-to baits/essentials(Sluggos,Deadly Dicks,Spro Jigs,T-Man Tubes,Bombers,Poppers,etc.) and have been expanding their saltwater section. Their prices aren't the lowest but not outrageous. The fact that they are right down the street from me can't be beat and their prices are still a little better than the shops by the shore.Not only that but I can pick up bait the night before and get out as early as I want without having to wait for someone to open in the morning. Now if they only carried crabs I'd probably be togging this morning as Hillyer's is now on their winter schedule and don't open till 7:00,too late for me. They are family owned/operated and nice people there. I also frequent Cabela's quite often for everything else I need but try to avoid going there as I always leave with more than intended. But sometimes on the way home from work my car,for some reason,ends up in their parking lot.

Posted Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:21 am

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/fishing/general_information/tackleshops.pdf

I downloaded this .pdf a few years ago off the DEP website. I don't know what part of the state you hail from, Shawn, but check it out because there is bound to be one closer than 1hr away (Cabela's).

Lung,

Who, would you say, is more a competitor to Cabela's (and I'm talking about just E.Hartford, not the entire corporation) other than CT Outfitters? I've never been there, as mentioned, but if we over- or under-deliver on something (selection, price) the first thing out of a shopper's mouth is "But Connecticut Outfitters...!" I'm just curious. I've been racking my brain and can't think of a place. Alas, I'm not well-traveled. My only other haunts in Connecticut were Ted's (Old Saybrook), Zah's (was? Portland), and Bill's (was East Hampton). And Frank's as mentioned earlier.

Posted Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:12 am

I just spent a half hour typing a reply post only to get trashed when I went to preview it...WTF unbelievable!

Here ya go another one bites the dust.

Bob's bait and tackle on route 32 in montville is going out of business.. all poles, reels, lures are up to 40% off

Last edited by aqualung on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:07 am

although most of you are probably aware of this, but I heard that Bass Pro Shops plans on building in Waterbury. I think that they are planning the building and getting contracts. I know that they are a big outfitter, but everything but Rapala is more expensive there than Cabala's and all other bait shops that I am aware of.

Protacanthopterix, if you and and your Cabela's friend don't know about this (something i think is nearly impossible) you should use this to your advantage.

Posted Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:08 pm

shawn123

. . . I heard that Bass Pro Shops plans on building in Waterbury . . .

http://ifishct.com/blog/2009/08/23/bass-pro-shops-waterbury-ct/

Posted Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 pm

shawn123

although most of you are probably aware of this, but I heard that Bass Pro Shops plans on building in Waterbury. I think that they are planning the building and getting contracts. I know that they are a big outfitter, but everything but Rapala is more expensive there than Cabala's and all other bait shops that I am aware of.

Protacanthopterix, if you and and your Cabela's friend don't know about this (something i think is nearly impossible) you should use this to your advantage.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought in general bass pro was slightly cheaper per lure.

Posted Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Sorry Protac. but I do think BPS is a bit cheaper than Cabelas on the fishing gear anyways. But that's what they are. I live in Wolcott and would love to see a BPS a few miles from my house, no brainer.

Posted Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Stopped by the new BP in Richmond VA this past summer. Not really cheap, but they focus on fishing so tons of gear. I really like their World Wide Sportsman clothing and look through the sales when I stop by the Norfolk VA store or the WWS store in Islamorada. I can spend as much time in tackle shops as my wife can at the mall, no problem. The OBX are my favorite.

Posted Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:46 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links