Carp If that is the bridge in old saybrook I’ve only been there once but I remember it being deeper around the two bridges and shallow most of the river with deeper water more toward the side with the boat launch. I hope I’m thinking of the right place.

Posted Thu May 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Carp...The river north of the Bissel is basically shallow, however not too far up river is the mouth of the Farmington river, there in that area you will find some deeper water. As far as going south from the Bissel, I don't know it that well but think you have to go down quite a ways to Hartford area to find water. (most likely you are trying to avoid the wethersfield cove launch Nazi ! )
If you wanted to try the mouth of the farmington, there is another boat launch that I will suggest, it is located in Windsor behind "Bart's" on rt 159 right were 159 goes over the farmington river.
I suggest you try it sometime, head downriver and explore a bit, you can always go upriver at some point if you like the area.
I can't help you with the Enfield dam area, but that would be strictly shore fishing I would guess, maybe someone else can assist you on this.

As for keepers up this way the past week, the water has been so low I have not even tried, and I know of several people who felt the same. Maybe someone got one or two, but I haven't heard about it.

The CT river looks like it will rise a bit this weekend, check this link.

http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/hydrographs/hfdc3_hg.png

Remember this is Hartford area and not exactly Windsor.
Any questions feel free to message me.

diggadave, The Bissel bridge is under I291 on the Windsor side, just thought you might like to know.

Posted Fri May 29, 2009 3:14 am

Thanks for the help Lung,it's always appreciated.I wasn't planning on fishing the dam area,I've just heard that it's a popular spot because stripers congregate below it and run over and I just thought that a fishing report from that area might be a good gage as to how many stripers are still in the river and how active they might be.Been thinking about the farmington mouth too,alot actually,might try to check it out this weekend.

Posted Fri May 29, 2009 5:24 am

Thanks Lung I wasn't sure only been there once. I don’t know the area that well hoping to get out there more.

Posted Fri May 29, 2009 5:45 pm

thats a good spot to go

Posted Fri May 29, 2009 6:50 pm

didn't make it north this weekend,fished the same stretch I always do,got the SKUNK!Anybody else do anything this past week besides theShark?

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Well I think I'm done with river strippers. This was my worst year yet! At liest I've been busy with Bass, Pike, Crappie and Catfish. I got a Pickeral that was a surprise and now I'm researching claming in CT. I will keep you all posted as usual!

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 pm

I went to this lake in Enfield near the prisions and had a huge largie at my feet and lost him but I'm going back today

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:26 am

Well our little derby is over for this year with Tom ('Hippie') winning it the last few hours of the competition. Caught on a live eel of course.

Me thinks next year it should be artificials only a NO LIVE BAIT! derby

That would knock out half the competition.

Had it gone a day longer it looks like 'the shark' would have won it.
Congrats Tom!

Last edited by aqualung on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:56 pm

What was the famous line, from the winner himself no less?

REAL MEN use PLUGS...

Posted Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:54 pm

I kind of figured That artifical/bait thing would be brought up by you, bob. We'll have to see about that. Laughing I thought that saying was "real men catch fish" Matt. One more day, thats all I needed.

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:51 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links