CT river is very high now but not near flood stage unless you travel RT 17 in Portland. I'm hoping my boat will be in the water by Easter weekend but unfortunatly, I'll be out of state. With the lack of rain up north, I don't think it will stay high for too long.

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:21 am

CTjeep, Definitely throw some plastics for the schoolies, on light tackle there lot's of fun. You will catch keepers too on the plastics.
But later in the spring give surface plugs a try...Danny swimmers, Zara spooks etc.

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:56 am

I have Z Spooks and a lot of surface plugs, but dont the Strippers usually follow the channels? I usually fish in 15 -25 feet of water.

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:23 pm

Anyone know if the stripers will run up the Connecticut during flood stage like it is now or will they hang back and wait for it to slow?Any knowledge on the subject would be much appreciated,Thanks.

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:49 am

The high water does not stop them at all, look for feeding rivers and streams where the water may be a bit warmer Wink

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:27 pm

Have fished the river North of Hartford past couple nights with Mark The Shark. Mark Managed 2 stripers each night, he was using a rapala x rap I only managed one striper at 26" using a white zoom super fluke.
They may not be here in great numbers yet, but THEY ARE HERE!

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:58 pm

My boat went in on Friday and I'm spending the weekend in the rain, I'm dry and no fish but the beer is cold!

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:14 pm

Hey Lung, Are those lures fished on top or at what depth?

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:35 pm

Jeepin, the lead heads I fish right across the bottom with some twitching action. The Shark using the x rap was a shallow diver.

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:41 pm

Great news lung,I'm headed to wethersfield cove tomorrow!I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:46 pm

Went to Wethersfield Cove on sunday,River too high still to get out on the main channel on the kayak so stayed in the cove,the wind kicked my but even in there,Managed a nice smallie,didn't focus on stripers.Hey Lung,you guys fish the main channel when targeting stripers?

Last edited by carp13 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:29 am

I was wondering how you were making out in that wind yesterday Carp, nice smallie you got.
For the most part yes, it's the main channel, but have picked them off outside the channel as well.

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:15 pm

Hey Lung,I got so excited the other day when you said that the Stripers are in the Connecticut that I forgot to tell ya that that's a nice fish ya had there.I realize it wasn't quite legal but it's still a nice one in my book.

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Hey any of you guys see these Storm"Wild-Eye Swim Shads"?Anyone ever fish them?I picked up a 4-pack last night,look pretty interesting.Cheap too!Got 4,6inch rigged shad body jigs for 4 bucks!What can I say I'm a sucker for a tackle bargain,sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.I got the "natural bunker" color so I'm guessing they had stripers in mind when they made em.

Posted Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:43 am

Okay guys,it's Sunday afternoon,I wanna hear some stories on how you couldn't keep the stripers out of the boat,lets hear it,are they here yet?-I wish i had some info on the subject for you all but I just returned from a pretty uneventful day at Coventry Lake,the river is still a tad too high for my little kayak maybe next weekend.

Posted Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:32 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links