Lung?I know you're after em!!!

Posted Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:33 pm

Carp, those storm shads will work, just not something I like to throw on the river myself. My buddy Sharkwake like to use them in the saltwater and does pretty good with them.
I really haven't been after the stripers much just yet, I have puppies really throwing a wrench into my striper season. Also still fishing for cod, doing that longer than I usually do.
Was out on the Farmington river last night with Mark the Shark and we didn't boat one fish. We did see a couple boats anchored fishing bait, not sure what they were using but did see some fish being netted.
You're complaining the river is too high, I'm complaining it's too low Confused

Posted Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks Lung,Maybe my understanding of what the normal river level is is wrong,two weekends ago when I fished my jetty that I like to fish I had to take my shoes and socks off to get out to the end of it because alot of it was submerged with the current spilling over the top of it and the river(according to the gage on the welcome page)has only gotten higher since then.All last summer I had no problem fishing that jetty as none of it was ever submerged.I've been waiting for the river to return to a similar level before I try to paddle my kayak in the main flow because I wanted my first attempt at it to feel reasonably safe to do so.I don't know,maybe I'm being too cautious?Because I really won't know what to expect until I get out there,right?But I've pretty much made up my mind to get out there next weekend no matter what unless it's ridiculously high.Gotta get my feet wet sometime if I ever expect boat some large stripers on my yak,and that was one of my goals from the start when i bought it.

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:02 am

What a gr8 weekend and warm too, hot even! The river is back to normal spring levels. I posted my report on the Salt water Stripper thread but will repete it here. The main river water temp is about 55 degrees with 61 degrees in the quiet areas. I took my dingy out on the river late in the day untill dark and cought numerous small Strippers. Went out Saturday and Sunday evenings and fished in 12 - 30 feet of water with the same results. I was using sand worms as they always work well. It's still early and things will pick up. In other years I get bigger ones into June. For me, an indication of cold water is that the eels and cat fish havent turned on yet. When I start catcheng more of those than Stripper, its time to move to salt water as the run is over. I'm currently fishing in the Haddam area too.

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:31 am

I was just thinking of asking you if you did any fishing this weekend,Thanks For The report Jeepin!

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Well another uneventful night on the CT river, myself and 2 other fisherman on a boat gave it a go for a few hours only to be turned away again empty handed. Well skipper did catch a sucker.

Between the 3 of us we threw many different styles and color lures at them, this is starting to wear at me

We did spot one of our competitors sneaking around who has now upgraded to lighted bobbers and caught some fish later on so I'm told.

I may have to give in to the bobber fishing myself tonight.

Posted Thu May 07, 2009 10:19 am

Sportsfreak or stripersniper or somebody just got a keeper yesterday just south of your stomping grounds Lung,it's about to pick up RIGHT NOW!I can feel it!

Posted Thu May 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Oh I almost forgot,I probably would have used that sucker for bait!He looks juicy!

Posted Thu May 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Thanks for the info carp, yea skipper thought exactly that, to use it for bait but we were wrapping it up for the night when he foul hooked that sucker

Posted Thu May 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Anyone get any keepers this weekend?Anybody?

Posted Sun May 10, 2009 9:12 am

Not in our little clan carp, water has been very dirty up this way, now today the wind would be a pain in the *ss

Posted Sun May 10, 2009 10:36 am

Yeah,I almost made an attempt today but opted not too.Between the wind and the current I would have had my hands full in my little yak.Probably gonna be a long wait until next weekend for me.Thanks for the report lung.Thinking about getting me some eels!

Posted Sun May 10, 2009 2:29 pm

next four days...sun, sun, sun!!!!!!!!

Posted Sun May 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Went out yesterday,thought it would be a good day,fished East Hartford to Keeney Cove,got two of the smallest stripers I've ever seen,a little discouraging.

Posted Sun May 17, 2009 8:12 am

Hey Carp, don't feel bad, Saturday evening I cought a few small ones still under 12 inches befor the skys opened up. If it's true things run in cycles, then I want off this ride!

Posted Sun May 17, 2009 1:21 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links