Won't be long now before we are chasing the Connecticut spring stripers.
Let's share info here!

I fish primarily in the Windsor, Windsor locks area with a pretty good success rate, using the typical soft plastic baits and surface plugs later when it warms up a bit.

Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:29 pm

I didn't realize they went up that far. I just may have to check it out. I was planing on trying the Thames in the spring.

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:52 am

Geez Lung...talk about wishing the ice season away......lets get our fill of the hardwater first!.....(we missed you last night)....having said that, I will be looking forward to you being my guide north of Hartford in the spring!

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:32 am

I fish the upper farmington for stripers and have a ball have no boat but i do real good from shore....I live in windsor locks and fish fish arond Browns tobacco fields.........caught alot of nice ones 35-40 size....but alot of real good eating size ones ...........

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:06 pm

tbob...I had big plans on being there last night, it just wasn't in the cards. The eye's were playing hardball huh?? You guys had a nice evening for it. Not wishing away the hard water at all.

I will be totally honest, if I could swap the ice season and replace it with the striper run..I would do that. Seeing as that is not happening,
I will suffer through the ice season Laughing

Hey Bobfishing, nice to meet you. Great, another local guy, ahhhhh the Farmington....Shhhhhhh don't say that TOO loud Wink

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Alright!Another crazy Bob fisherman!Welcome aboard!!!This keeps up we can have a BOB Spring Striper tourney!!!

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:25 pm

ehertzfeld

I didn't realize they went up that far. I just may have to check it out. I was planing on trying the Thames in the spring.

They sure do...they go as far up as the Holyoke Damn, I'm not sure if some get lifted over...I would think so.

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:31 pm

I head to the lower part of the salmon river in March. White x-rap seems to get them to the boat. I've picked up a few bass as well as a pike, now and then.

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:44 am

March huh?? mid to late March I would guess. you get a bit of a head start on us up here.

X raps huh?? my favorite is something like this.

Posted Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:04 am

I use the fluke in the spring as well, but just on lgmouth. They did work on the Thames in march. For some reason the only thing I've had luck with on the salmon was a white crank or jerkbait for stirpers. Only place an x-rap works for me.

Posted Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:29 am

the holyoke dam is not far from my house and yes they do go up the fish ladder because they count them when they are counting all the shad runing up the fish ladder. and i have seen pics of guys that camp out on the side of the river fishing for strippers one guy was in the news paper holding a 40" stripper a few years back.

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:22 pm

That's pretty interesting Reel em, I wonder how far north the actually go?

How do the fish get back down river?? the same way?

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:23 pm

aqualung

Me guessing most don't! Very Happy

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:46 pm

ehertzfeld

aqualung

You are right heard that most of them die from being in freshwater for so long the same with the shad I allways find slot of them dead on the side of the river

Posted Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 am

reel_emin81

ehertzfeld

aqualung

You are right heard that most of them die from being in freshwater for so long the same with the shad I allways find slot of them dead on the side of the river

That leads me to believe they shouldn't lift them Laughing

Posted Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:23 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links