Newby here to CT Fish Finder and fairly new to Ct. I live near Gardner Lake and have started to fish it some with limit luck. Was wondering if any one would be willing to give up some secrets???? Spots and lure??? Don't care what species...LM Bass, SM Bass, Trout, Walleye, even Pickerel....just enjoy catch and release. Any help would be appriciated. Thank you

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:36 pm

ive tried fishing garener lake since they put the dock in a few years ago and it has not been very good because they drained the water five or so feet in the lake. your best bet would be putting something down on the bottom out near the middle to catch walleye and catfish. i know fishing out near the island used to be great, but i stopped fishing there so im not sure what its like now.

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:31 pm

my best luck for picks on any lake in the area is a mepps #3 dressed with a white buck-tail trailer. It worked best in the cooler weather, and i have not used it in two months since starting to throw jigs. I have also had a lot of luck with the 1/4 oz white body with silver spinner rooster tail. My biggest lesson on pickerel is burning the bait in. If you jerk or crank anything fast enough you generally will pick one up.

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Haven't fished there in about 26 years, but my largest Perch came out of there, midway from the boat launch and island...15" Long and Fat!

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:16 am

It was absolutely a gorgeous day for that lake yesterday. I had not been there in over 20 years..I was shocked to see there is no stand with jet ski rentals, hot dogs and video games...

But the perfect lake for bringing lunch, tying up and going for a swim...my daughter picked out 50 mussels from the bottom and was begging me to bring them home and cook them for her. I told her I didnt think it was safe with all the petroleum....but this was my favorite day of the year. I didnt want to leave...we didnt even fish....we just explored on the boat and stopped to swim and look at some of the mansions...I was so jealous.

Posted Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Yep spent yesterday on Gardner too (again) until the storm sent everyone on a mad dash for the ramp. Everyone was calm and helpful at the ramp trying to load and get out before the rain and lighting hit. Was expecting attitudes and rude people but was very surprised and pleased.

The lake was the busiest I have seen it. A buddy of mine tried to come down and there was a sign that the ramp was closed. Guessing because there was no parking left. A lot of this problem was the swimmers at the beach park in the boat and trailer spots and "screw" the boaters. Unlike the boaters the swimmers ARE rude!

As for the fishing....probably over 100 casts in three different areas and 8 different lures and not a single fish. The surface was like being on the open ocean from all the jet skies and tubers flying by. Was frustrating!!!

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:43 am

That sucks about the storm. The forecast for Saturday and Sunday were identical...So I actually rolled the dice and went on Saturday...I lucked out after having several "bad luck" days with the kids for there first season...We always head out in the sun and the clouds seem to chase us followed by cold rain.....but I was thrilled we had a great day just boating and swimming even.

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:31 am

Sucks that you left, its some of the best fishing around. The huge drop in pressure, and the fact that everyone is leaving makes things a ton better. I was out on lake of the isles by myself, and i hid in the car during the huge lightning storm and headed right back out. The bite was fantastic. There were a few rain drops, but nothing big after the event. 5-6pm sucked but the rest of the evening was good.

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:37 pm

The Norwich Bulletin has run two articles recently concerning the swimming, parking, trash, and general unrulyness of people using the states swimming and boat launch. I myself have had several issues with swimmers parking a little compact car in the boat trailer parking spots because they are closer to the swimming area and they are too lazy to walk from the upper parking lot. It has "pissed me off" a couple of the times and leaves no room for us boaters to park. There is another meeting Aug 2nd at the Salem Library at 6:30 being held by an organization called "Friends of Gardner Lake". Some of the options discussed are charging an entrance fee, adding guards, and just plain closing the park.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/carousel/x329769453/Gardner-Lake-safety-concerns-grow#axzz20PNh1akq

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/newsnow/x874250715/Gardner-Lake-Authority-backs-park-closure-if-part-of-safety-plan#axzz20PNh1akq

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:13 am

Everyone in the boat parking should have a trailer and the ones who don't should post a copy of the boating registration on the inside of the drivers side window....everyone else, fined.

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:52 pm

snapper

....everyone else, fined.

Except that carry-ins that have no motors are not required to be registered, so some could be yakers or canoe-ers that end up getting fined!

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:56 pm

True. Those guys can leave a sign on the window "gone fishin!"
Seriously..that's a good point....

What the hell ever happened to the arcade and jet ski's for rent there...I used to go there in the 80s when they had a nice little concession building.

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Before my time here!

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:30 pm

as far as fishing that would not help our cause. Already there is so much traffic that if you want to have a decent time, you will have to fish very early late or during the night. I have switched all my outings to the evening until dark, and it has made a huge difference in the quality and volume of my catch...

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 am

Another fishless trip on Gardner......Getting a little discouraged with this lake. Any recommendations for a good fishing lake in the south east portion of the state? Rogers? Long Pond? Bashan? Pachuag? Amos?

Got my son in town from outta state and want him to catch some fish...any fish!

Tried multiple lures, night crawlers, and several different spots on the lake. Was a week day in mid morning so traffic was rather low so can't blame the fish not biting on boat, jet ski, or skier traffic. Sad Sad Sad

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:42 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links