Saturday, I had a terrific day on the Farmington ( see Fly Fishing - Oh What a Day) that was overshadowed somewhat by the amount of trash that I found along the river banks and in the woods. Everything from discarded fishing line, bait containers, styrafoam coffee cups and other beverage cans. It is absoultely appalling. I am not picking on bait anglers as there is trash that could come from anyone including non-fishermen.
Take whatever you bring in out with you. Bring a bag and pickup some trash on the way back to your car. Dispose of it in a proper receptacle. If everyone on this site would pick up a little trash on every trip this season, we could make an enormous impact.
Please take care of our treasured waters and woods!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Mon May 11, 2009 7:16 am

I second that motion!

Posted Mon May 11, 2009 4:44 pm

Posted Mon May 11, 2009 5:41 pm

I took my boys out and had to warn them to look out for the broken beer bottle next to the spot we chose. Not pleasant Evil or Very Mad

Posted Tue May 12, 2009 12:14 pm

i agree people need to clean up after themselves.

Posted Tue May 12, 2009 3:14 pm

I left a note in my marina suggestion box to have the staff go around with a dock cart and net and scoop out all the trash.

Posted Thu May 14, 2009 9:20 pm

I have been just a catch/release guy, but I frequently go home with a bag of trash (broken glass, soda cans, fishing line, foam coffee cups. Irritates the carp out of me. I know it’s easy to forget you had a cup, but I think some times it’s not just simple absent mindedness.

Posted Sat May 29, 2010 10:16 am

I agree whole-heartedly! The last two times I took my daughter to the Wethersfield Cove we brought two buckets of trash back with us that fishermen had left behind.

It is embarassing and unsafe, as they left behind hooks, bait buckets, beer bottles (one smashed), cigarette wrappers, etc. Please clean up after yourselves.

Posted Sat May 29, 2010 12:59 pm

as well. I went running over to Wethersfield Cove this morning. Under the bridge on the way to the CT River was a mess. Dorrito bags, buckets, etc were all over the place. It's embarrasing that such a great spot can be so easily ruined by lazy people leaving their trash around.

Hopefully as we continue to grow the site, we can start spreading the word to keep CT waters clean!

Posted Sat May 29, 2010 6:56 pm

it is disappointing to see so much trash on the shores of every sight I fish. There are too many people who fish to catch whatever they can eat, regardless of size or spieces. I bring a bag with me every time I go out, and it comes bag full of trash almost every time. It is too bad DEP doesn't have enough manpower to catch these idiots.
I called a few out to try and question them, and realized that nine times out of ten, these jerks don't even have licenses (lucky I didn't get shot). Amazing that most are families with several small children making a day out on the shore. Very pitiful!!!

Posted Sat May 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Hey ctjeepinguy,

nobody heard from you lately. Figured you headed south.
Glad your still around.

Posted Sat May 29, 2010 11:17 pm

Went out to Pachaug Pond yesterday afternoon to try for some pike at the southend. Stopped at the "put in" east of the bridge on RT 165 and found this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost enough to make me go home in disgust! Unfortunately I didn't have room in my vehicle for it, but when I stop back in a couple days I will take what I can. Maybe there's some recyc. stuff or something useful in the waste someone else was too lazy to do the right thing with.!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:17 pm

ill dig around till I find a book or mail with a addi on it then turn there A**s in in a heartbeat

Posted Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:19 pm

nwdarkcloud

ill dig around till I find a book or mail with a addi on it then turn there A**s in in a heartbeat

I was thinking the same thing. If I didn't have to be in Hartford tonight to pick up my wife I'd be there now. Sent the pic w/location to the DEEP and the Preston Illegal dumping contact. My boss happens to be a Preston Selectman too!

Posted Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:40 pm

i hate the trash to, and its very bad in some spots. Any bridge that crosses the water is a bad spot. I caught the top to a bbq grill at Glasgow the other day. My three year old has helped me stay in shape, as he likes to throw stuff over the side and i always turn around and pick it up. Some times its a real pain, but if everyone took a little care our watersheds would be a hole lot nicer.

Posted Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links