There are rod leashes and paddle leashes. Paddle leashes are longer. Me personally,I like the coil kind.

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:56 am

I have a coily one for my paddle, but I haven't put any on the other stuff, but this year I will. The coily chord has been no problem at all.

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Started out with a straight 6' leash. Tangled up around everything. Always in the way when entering and exiting. Now use coil type and have no issues. Make sure it is not too long.
Another thing I found at North Cove Outfitters is a paddle clip. I have a sit in yak, so the clip connects to the side lip of the cockpit. The paddle just snaps into it so it attaches lengthwise when I am fishing instead of laying paddle on my lap. Cost me $10. Wouldn't clip to your sit on top yak, but you might try and fab one.

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks guys! I'm looking into the coil type.

Mac, I made bungee cord paddle holders. My yak has cut outs for the paddle built into it. The cords will hold in tight to the yak.

the other side will hold an extra fly rod nicely.

I'm pretty satisfied how it's coming.

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Looking good Hertzy! I know it's been talked about a couple of times, a kayak tournament that is for CTFF. Maybe that's not the way to go cause it hasn't happened yet but maybe a "get-together" is in order. There are quite a few guys now enlisted in the plastic navy on the site and I think it would be cool to see everybody's rigs,share ideas and of course do a little fishing too. Just throwing that out there and I'll start a thread,say late spring and see if there is any interest.

Posted Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:07 am

I'm always in for that Carp. Pick a centralized place, a date (with a rain date the following weekend) and set it in stone. This way it is set and doesn't get lost in the "haggling' that can go on and on and on. If it is planned early enough, everyone should be able to make plans way ahead of time. I'll travel anywhere in the state, doesn't matter to me.
And Hertzy, if you keep working all winter on adding rigging to that yak, you may launch in the spring and realize you forget to leave yourself a place to sit.

Posted Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:13 pm

Carp, I'd be up for a yak-together!

Mac, were I do tend to "over do things", I'm trying very hard not to get carried away an to keep this thing fairly simple. But We'll see what happens by spring time! Very Happy

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:32 am

ehertzfeld

Carp, I'd be up for a yak-together!

Mac, were I do tend to "over do things", I'm trying very hard not to get carried away an to keep this thing fairly simple. But We'll see what happens by spring time! Very Happy

Me too. Always willing to learn from the pros.
ehertzfeld, I was thinkin' 'watch the weight aft', but these sit-ons are very stable. "Sea Trials" will tell.

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:44 am

Hertzy,
Just don't go for the flashing lights and sound system and you should be OK. Then again, if you plan on night fishing, it'd be a great show on the water. Laughing

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 pm

mac636

Hertzy,
Just don't go for the flashing lights and sound system and you should be OK. Then again, if you plan on night fishing, it'd be a great show on the water. Laughing

Ya know, I do have an old 18 inch sub woffer!!! Cool

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:29 am

Well, got the yak out of the basement this weekend! Hope to get her wet soon. changed the crate for the rear, and found a decent chest pack for fly fishing in a stream, that I can strap to the front. Still choosing a seat, but I will take it out like it is untill I find one I like.

Here she is!

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Like the new crate. Hinged top with that top level storage is a great idea.

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Hey guys, nice to know more kayakers, I'm looking for kayak fishing this spring, Do you guys know a good spot, some bass and trout and maybe some stripers and blues.

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:56 am

Took my yak out for the 2nd time yesterday,got a small brown trout and a couple of pickerel while trying for walleye (at Coventry). Got pretty windy so only fished a couple of hours but it was a nice time. Still waiting for the river to turn on.....Roganas, I fish the Ct River alot and the Stonington area in the sound. Looking to explore more areas of the salt this season. This will be my third season with mine. By the way,nice yak!

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:13 am

mac636

Like the new crate. Hinged top with that top level storage is a great idea.

Thanks Mac, but I can't take the credit for it. Got the idea from this site: http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/

they have a whole section for yak fishing. I don't post much there, as they seem to be more clicky, but a ton of great info.

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:44 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links