Just got a yak for my birthday! Very Happy Got it at Job Lot. I know it's a entry level yak, but with what I intend to do with it, it will be perfect. It's a 8ft Coleman Drifter. width is 30, so it should be pretty stable. It is a sit on top type. It's pretty basics, just an open back with bungee webbing, and a open front. I'm looking into accessories for it. Were is a good place? Did a lot of searching on eBay and goggle. Found a few places, but would like to compare before I buy. Oh, picture of your set ups would be awesome too. Not sue how I want to set this thing up.

Thanks!

Posted Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Well here is my yak.

I took apart one of those bucket packs, and riveted it to the crate.

going to get flush mount rod holders soon.

I would like some sort of pack for the front. Not sure if I want one to go over or inside.

Posted Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Nice, Scotty makes some pretty nice rod holders for flush mount, I also have a make shift anchor trolly that I added. I'll have to set mine up and take some pics to compare to yours.

Posted Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:47 pm

got two pole holders coming!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270685829349&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Scotty does make a nice fly rod holder. Hopefully Bass Pro has one in stock. I'll be working near there Monday! I may pick up two flush mounts for the Scotty, and get a holder for a spinner as well.

Yes please snap some pic's of your yak. I am curious how those trolley anchors work.

Posted Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:13 pm

Forget the Scotty's they're junk, get Ram mounts they are far more adjustable and will accept all three style of reels, where the Scotty are designed for a baitcaster only.

When you install your trolley use Harkin 350 pullies they are the best and run about $10 each , but you'll never buy another as they are a composit.

Tight Lines
Steve
Bassyaks.com

Posted Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Steve, I saw those Ram holders. I plan on using this yak, for fly fishing mostly, so the rod holder I was looking at, is made to hold a fly rod. Is the ram your talking about designed for a fly? If so, that would be the best!

Any chance you could take some pic's of your anchor system and explain how it works? I'm new to the yak thing.

Also guys, I'm looking for dos and don'ts, must haves and don't bothers.

Love fishing the ice, but now I really can't wait for spring!!

Posted Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:25 am

Hertzy, of utmost importance, DO get yourself a comfortable seat or at least a seat pad to supplement the one you got. If you're not comfortable you're not going to enjoy fishing from the yak. DO get yourself an anchor and hook up a trolley system especially if you're going to be fishing in any kind of current or wind.But DON'T buy one of those 2 1/2 lb kayak anchors,they are worthless. I use a 10lb mushroom anchor I bought at Walmart. And whatever you do, DON'T anchor in the CT RIVER or any other big river until you really know what you're doing (ask Mac about that one if you haven't heard the story already,SCARY STUFF!). Also DO buy or make leashes for everything and USE them until your used to fishing from the yak and are confident your not going to be sending expensive rods and reels to the bottom. IF YOU LOVE IT,LEASH IT! DO spend money on a nice,light paddle. Don't sink a bunch of money rigging up that Coleman until you are sure that you enjoy fishing from a Yak,it's not for everybody, often times it's a lot of work. Most rigging can be improvised/homemade. That's one of the beauties of yak fishing, it's hands-on and can be very DIY. DO get yourself a PFD and wear it. It's mandatory anyway from the beginning of October thru the end of May I think but I rarely do not wear mine except for the middle of July when it's 95 degrees and I'm on a pond or small lake. I ALWAYS wear it on the river. For paddles,seats or anything else you might need I DO reccomend seeing Steve at BassYaks in Uncasville. He has everything you might need and will give you a good,competitive price. I bought my whole setup from him.

Posted Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:56 am

since you stated the seat thing first, I assume that's more important. LOL Any suggestion??? I see they make all sorts. High back, low back,inflatable, lumbar............ I do have a rather fickle back, so I wont skimp out on this one, but don't want to pay more than the yak cost! Just looking for a decent seat for $40 to $80. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Not true about the Scotty's being for bait casters only. I've got flush-mount sockets and removable rod holders, and they work just fine for spinning reels. NOT good for spin-casters though. As far as being 'junk'... they work fine for me, have had no trouble at all. Just my opinion. But carp13 does have a real nice rig. Cumfortable seat is important though, especially if you have a tricky back.

stevek

Forget the Scotty's they're junk, get Ram mounts they are far more adjustable and will accept all three style of reels, where the Scotty are designed for a baitcaster only.

When you install your trolley use Harkin 350 pullies they are the best and run about $10 each , but you'll never buy another as they are a composit.

Tight Lines
Steve
Bassyaks.com

Last edited by pramsey on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:32 pm

As far as seats go, yes in my opinion VERY important. If your a** and back hurts every time you go out, you won't go out that often. I've seen gel seat pads somewhere for that type of yak with the backrest built in. That might be all you'll need. Don't know what those go for but you definitely won't find a good seat for $40 and if there is a good one out there for $80 I'm not aware of it. Mine retails for $190 but it is really one of if not the best available...............Wait a minute! I found an inflatable seat pad for $17.95! Here's the link http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/the-146/C.O.D.-Inflatable-Seat-Pad/Detail .........Don't know anything about it but it looks like it will be kinder to the bum than the yellow plastic! .........Just saw a foam seat pad they carry too,it's listed under "new products".

Posted Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:35 pm

If you want to keep it really cheap, you can get one of those inflatable hemmoroid rings to sit on. Laughing

But seriously, you want some kind of padded back support if you will be sitting for hours.

Posted Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:08 pm

I can't believe I ran up from the basement for that! LOL

I found some decent ones for $60 to $80, just trying to decide which one I want.

Thanks guys!

Posted Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:32 pm

mac636

If you want to keep it really cheap, you can get one of those inflatable hemmoroid rings to sit on. Laughing

But seriously, you want some kind of padded back support if you will be sitting for hours.

Sooooooo that's what you were sittin on. Wink

Posted Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Carp, you've seen my yak, not much padding on my seat but still stay out for 8 hours. Don't pull the ring out until absolutely necessary. Smile

Posted Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 pm

Ok, what length of leashes should I get?? I found a pack of 5 leashes that are 3ft long for $18. These are not the coil kind. I was thinking the coil kind, mite be a pain, but not too sure. What do you guys find works better for you?

Thanks!

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links