I just got a new spinning reel (shimano sonora) and yesterday evening i stopped by mondo pond to give a few casts to see how this new line works. I first tried trilene "smooth cast" the other day on it and it just seemed too thin....it would bunch up on the casts so I was going to try braided but instead i got some trilene transoptic.

ok, so my question is: can you spool line in inclement weather? that stuff was bunching up the moment it came off the spool and even though i had put it under tension when spooling it on...the line coming from the spool to my reel was doubling over itself so that i was continually untwisting it.

I got it all on but as i was threading it through the pole, it kept wanting to pop off my reel so much that i ended up with a birds nest before i could do a single cast.

i cut it all off and will respool this evening.

was it the mist in the air sticking to the line causing it to want to cling to anything? if thats the case, what about when you retrieve it from water?

yeah, im a n00b....havent been fishing in a decade

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Im not familiar with the line in question but it sounds like you either were twisting the line somehow while installing or you were removing it incorrectly from the spool it came on.
Also overfilling the spool can cause similar problems.
That's my best guess, can't think of what else it could be.

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:52 pm

aqualung

Im not familiar with the line in question but it sounds like you either were twisting the line somehow while installing or you were removing it incorrectly from the spool it came on.
Also overfilling the spool can cause similar problems.
That's my best guess, can't think of what else it could be.

I laid the spool flat on the ground and kept tension with my right hand while i was cranking it on. I got a half spool left so ill try it again tonight at pine lake.

i also got a casting reel....of which i never got the hang of but since i like casting more than sitting and waiting i figured i would give one of them a try too.

ill get the hang of it one of these days (which is why i like cheap line....i found this forum by googling "zebco omniflex review" cause i just got some cheap braided line to try out)

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Also, make sure the line comes off the store spool in the same direction it is going on the reel spool. If the bail spins CW it should come off the store spool CW.

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Two words will solve your problem...."Power Pro"...After casting flip the bail with your hand, not by reeling in, and your good to go. Line will last for years with minimal problems..

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:02 pm

pramsey

Also, make sure the line comes off the store spool in the same direction it is going on the reel spool. If the bail spins CW it should come off the store spool CW.

ding! ding! ding!

I didnt think to check about that

thanks!

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:06 pm

slinger

Two words will solve your problem...."Power Pro"...After casting flip the bail with your hand, not by reeling in, and your good to go. Line will last for years with minimal problems..

i almost got some power pro because the shimano website lists it as one of the types of line the Sonora supports. is it made by shimano? it was 22 as opposed to 7.

hmm....now, red or green in power pro?

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:07 pm

hmm....now, red or green in power pro?

Go with the green....once the red fades a little it's pink, and Slinger always busts my balls about it. Guess he needs to get in touch with his feminine side like me Wink

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:27 pm

you were removing it incorrectly from the spool it came on

Where's my "ding ding ding" LMAO

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:28 pm

some types of liine have more problems on spinning reels that others. I like seaguar invesx because i dont have a lot of twist problems with it, but its expensive for some. The standard berkley xl via walmart is great if your just throwing crank baits and stretch is not a problem. I always try the spool trick mentioned earlier, but a line conditioner will help, and trawling all the line out with nothing on the end, will get rid of all the mounting twist if you have a boat. Sounds strange but it works. Gota give the credit on that one to darkcloud, he showed me.

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Berkley XL been around long before Wally World took over the planet,just so you know.............Good mono.

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:33 pm

that discusion has gone round and round. I like that a decent product can be found at wally world, but there are not may. I also pick up certian rapala's there, due to the price, and my worms to, due to only being 5 a pack. If you know what you want, there are some good deals there.

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Lay your rod on a table in the back yard and open the bail. Walk the line out til spool is empty. I've even walked around a tree and doubled back since my yard isn't that big. Then simply hold tension with your fingers in front of the spool and reel it all back on. This should take out the twist.

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:37 pm

ya I just out spool like John mentioned 1x a month behind the boat never have a issue...i allso use that trick when flipping line on spools except i hold the end and let line out in giant loop cut it off from the spool retie it to spool from older end and spool it up...

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:47 pm

Im thinkin you put to much line on your spool!! Or it is line twist , a good trick to get rid of line twist is as soon as u see your line twisting wile spoolin up your reel,just flip over your new spool of line, seen it on Bill Dance!! Line conditioner helps too!! And if the line is OLD it will do that too!!!<°><

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:49 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links