Anyone fished lake Oneida or done much walleye fishing? Never done either, but I'm headed to upstate NY next week for steelhead but may take my boat for a day or two on the lake. Five days of just fishing with no kids, cellphone or anything else. I've been told by tons of people that the lake is great for smallmouth and walleye. I've never even seen a walleye. If the weather cooperates, a marathon day on the lake might be in order. Any tips/info appreciated! Go Fish

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:57 pm

i just got done reading abunch of articles on in-fisherman, on catching ole marble eyes. Havent done any myself, but watched a boat trawl for them all night with rapala's and crawler harnesses on black lake. They seem to do well, hope this helps.

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Walleye can be tricky. Haven't done much fishing for them since I've moved here because there just aren't that many. Depending on the water temp when you go they can be in a number of places or different stages,pre-spawn,post-spawn,etc. I good starting point would be to troll deep-diving crankbaits or walleye spinners tipped with leeches,minnows or crawlers.If you pick up a fish,make another pass. If you get another then drop down some jigs if you find exactly where they are set up at on a reef or break. They also will roam last years weed beds. Here's some fish me and my brother got the last time we fished a legitimate walleye lake a few years ago in Michigan. Just about all of the fish came on jerk baits in dying weed beds in the fall.Good Luck!

And here's one that came through the ice at Coventry. Very Happy

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:56 am

Thanks guys. If the weather looks good for the boat I'm going to give it a go. The lake is also supposed to be great for smallmouth. For the walleye, I'm just going to read up, talk to people and hope to catch a few. Watched a show where they were fishing them with wobble jigs and soft plastics, but I have no idea what time of year it was, etc. If I take my boat out Friday, I'll have all day Thursday on the water with my guide Scott to pick his brain about the walleyes. My main focus will be the steelhead, but I've got enough time this trip to try a few things.

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:55 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links