Was wondering if anyone has used a umbrella rig before and what brands are good, Never used one and dont want to buy junk,And they look fun as hell ><*>

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:00 pm

umbrella rig to target what???

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:38 pm

I've used umbrella rigs off-shore for a variety of fish, usually as part of a spread. I have one setup for stripers, though I never use it. If I troll, it's mostly tube and worm. The Alabama Rigs (mini-umbrella) are all the talk now, though they will be banned in most tourny's this year. However, I was planning on experimenting with one tomorrow on pike. Never used one in freshwater before, and am just kinda curious. My general impression is that it is kind of "cheating," but everybody has thier preferences when fishing. If it catches fish, is legal and you enjoy it, why not? If you have a particular target in mind, throw it up here.

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:00 pm

The alabama rig is what im lookin at for largys! Like i said i dont kno wat to buy and dont want to buy somethin thats gonna fall apart on me after one fish ive caught bass almost every way pos, just wana try out somthin new

Posted Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:43 pm

I bought 2 off of ebay from 2 different sellers. One from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bass-Rig-5-Arm-Tested-in-Alabama-6-Wires-/330689218765?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfe9d08cd

I threw it out a few times today, but it wasn't really in the right conditions as it was cold and I was picking up hits with a pumpkin jig and creature bait dragging down an underwater drop.

Posted Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks for the info ill check em out bud!!!

Posted Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:10 pm

Meh leave that rig for the saltwater it is banned from BASS for a reason.

Posted Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:51 pm

It is kinda like fishin with a grenade in that it removes any finesse or skill . I can see banning them from tournaments, but in most places I don't think it harms the fish populations. Live bait is also banned, but I never leave home without it when fishing with my young kids.

Posted Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:46 pm

One question about this rig and fish populations.
Since you can hook multiple fish on this rig, what happens if your line breaks or knot slips?
Think those fish will survive?
Even if only one fish is on and the line breaks, when its swimming away, there is a good chance that more fish will still go after the other baits.

The Alabama rig should be banned! Period, the end!!!!

Posted Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:50 pm

i am not going to say that the rig is the right way to fish, but if we banned everything that was bad we could not fish at all. Do you really believe that plastic is good for a fish. Have you ever eaten a fish and checked the gut? I find worms, and all sorts of junk in the fish that we put there. The pro's use the best equipment, and most likely have very few breakoffs when using the rig because they will run very heavy line. If you want to preach, go with fishing respectfuly.

Posted Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Fish using your skills and knowledge. if you choose to use an umbrella rig, please don't post your fish pictures. Be proud of what took skill to catch.
Umbrella rig takes the "sport" out of fishing.
I will NEVER use one for LMB!

Posted Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:09 pm

mac636 raised a legit issue with the breakoffs, though I imagine most people fishing them use such heavy braid that you could anchor your boat rather than break off. I'm not that fond of them in the salt water (hence the fact that my striper rig has hung in the garage for several seasons) because they are so bulky and have to be fished with such heavy gear. In big trolling spreads, they usually only employ a hook in the trail bait if at all. They are primarily teasers to bring a fish up into your other baits. I don't think they'll kill more fish than gut hooking etc., but I've got nothing to support this.

Posted Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:00 pm

When we run speads we are using 80 lbs + line no break offs. On blues or stripers we use wire for weight to hold it down. Only time I had lost a rig was in the race when my buddy wasn't paying attention and we hooked the bottom. I have to agree takes some of the sport out of it.

Posted Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:39 pm

When we run speads we are using 80 lbs + line no break offs. On blues or stripers we use wire for weight to hold it down. Only time I had lost a rig was in the race when my buddy wasn't paying attention and we hooked the bottom. I have to agree takes some of the sport out of it.

Posted Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:40 pm

Im just lookin for another way to catchem,its always fun to catch largys on a new lure,or rigg ,didnt think about what would happin if it broke off with a fish on that would be horrible, so if i do get one i would def throw it on some heavy braid, dont want to hurt or kill no fish not my style!!

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:49 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links