my buddy bill,and i hit the thames river from dock rd @430 am.the dock are not in again this year.
it was just about low tide so we headed down river,we fished around the new docks across from the sub base.our drift brought us between the docks and channel marker towards the rr trackes.i was throwing a 1/2 oz leadhead with bubblegum 6 inch curlytail worm,bill was useing a 1/4 oz leadhead black worm.
we made 2 drifts with no luck.we decided to make one more and plan for our next move.on this drift i spotted a follow,didnt know what it was,and looked to be around 12 inches .the next cast i slowed it down,this time i had a couple hits,but didnt hook up.i changed to a smaller bait,a storm swim shad,shad color,sent it out .this time i hooked up,a 15 inch blue.
we make 3 more drifts in the same location,ended up with some stripers in the mix,the first 2 were 24 and 26.then came a keeper 34 inches and a 32.along with more blues .after that we went to make another drift but this time it changed we were gettig pushed out into the channel,then the navy gunboat came over told us we couldnt fish infront of the base.even though we were there for 3 hours lol.so we went down to the goldstar bridge.i had my boat rod and bill brought some yellow perch,i never used perch for fluke so i gave it a try.i put on a 4 oz jig with a 3 ft floater,with bait on both hooks,within min of the first drift i had a 14 inch fluke.we made 2 more drifts withnothing but a keeper blue crab.on the next drift i had one big hit,almost ripped the rod out of my hands,i thought it might be a blue or striper,it fought and was taken line out,it ened up being 2 fluke,one keeper 22 inches and a shorty 16.bill landed a 20 inch fluke and a couple shorts,17 and 15 inch.we made a few more drifts with nothing,so we went up river.this was more of a learning trip for bill.he never been on the thames befor,so i was showing him the channels,and where he could go,ended up trailering the boat a 2 pm,
sorry no picks my phone went dead,and bills phone was so badly scratched up you could tell if we were holding a fish or a log,lol

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:22 am

Way to catch em up Thanks for the detailed report.

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:08 am

That's odd, never heard you can't fish across from the subbase before, I thought there was a "safe distance" limit, but maybe the rules have changed? Nice report though!

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:16 am

Great report Big O! Way to get after em.

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:31 am

That is odd that they kicked you out. The river is pretty wide around there. Sitting at my computer, I would argue, however seeing that 50mm on the bow, I would tuck my tail and move on! Wink That is the first real report I have heard from the Thames. Thanks! I been wanting to give it a try. Boys and I are heading to Barn tomorrow to give it a whirl! Yes Lung, I'm going to get some spearing! May get some sand worm too, but not sure.

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Doesn't surprise me they gave you the boot in that area, they don't like anyone hanging out around there, and fishing is hanging out. It's kind of a grey area around there. But the good part is you managed to catch fish even though big brother didn't want you around Wink
They will boot you out if you are 'hanging out under the 95 bridge or if you are too close to the subs at EB.
Hertzy smart move on the spearing, hold the worms and get some clam or squid whichever you were going to forfeit to get the worms...worms are too expensive anyway.
Good luck out there, I will get out there one of these days this month hopefully Confused

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Got plenty of squid!!!!! I'll see what my bait shops got and the price, and go from there.

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:07 pm

ehertzfeld

That is odd that they kicked you out. The river is pretty wide around there. Sitting at my computer, I would argue, however seeing that 50mm on the bow, I would tuck my tail and move on! Wink That is the first real report I have heard from the Thames. Thanks! I been wanting to give it a try. Boys and I are heading to Barn tomorrow to give it a whirl! Yes Lung, I'm going to get some spearing! May get some sand worm too, but not sure.

Just so you know, 50mm is almost the size of a beer can, what you would be looking at is the wrong end of a single 50 cal heavy barrel or a M60 7.62 mm, either of which you don't want to mess with. I used ot work harbor security: This unit in the color photo was the unit that I helped start up, but retired before their first deployment to the gulf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_Expeditionary_Security_Force

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:15 pm

pramsey

ehertzfeld

Just so you know, 50mm is almost the size of a beer can, what you would be looking at is the wrong end of a single 50 cal heavy barrel or a M60 7.62 mm, either of which you don't want to mess with. I used ot work harbor security: This unit in the color photo was the unit that I helped start up, but retired before their first deployment to the gulf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_Expeditionary_Security_Force

LOL thanks! I really ment to write 50cal. Wink

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:21 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links