The lead ban that was defeated last year has not gone away. I'm sure those of you who sent letters last time got the email. I participated again and sent a letter to our representatives and I urge you all to do the same. It took all of two seconds.. Here's the link.

https://www.keepamericafishing.org/action/article_ni/efforts_to_ban_lead_in_fishing_tackle

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Done!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 am

Ditto
x182dan

Done!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Done. Spread the word people. Post on other sites, clubs, etc. I don't want a garage full of banned tackle!

Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:03 pm

I think in this day and age that we the good fisherman of the state should propose a compromise. We will accept a lead ban, if all resivores in the state are opened to fishing. This would double the number, and multiply by four at least the amount of total surface area in my area to fish. There are many places very large very close as well. There is no logical reason other than lead contamination to keep them closed. I would buy off on not allowing internal combustion engines on the lakes that provide drinking water, but electric trawling motors and yaks, as well as allowing fishing minus lead would be the best compromise ever!!!!!!

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Me too, Done again

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:14 pm

angryjohn

I think in this day and age that we the good fisherman of the state should propose a compromise. We will accept a lead ban, if all resivores in the state are opened to fishing. This would double the number, and multiply by four at least the amount of total surface area in my area to fish. There are many places very large very close as well. There is no logical reason other than lead contamination to keep them closed. I would buy off on not allowing internal combustion engines on the lakes that provide drinking water, but electric trawling motors and yaks, as well as allowing fishing minus lead would be the best compromise ever!!!!!!

Regrettably there are a lot of people who fish and leave the shore covered with trash and debris with no respect for the environment. I believe this is the main reason watershed areas remain closed to fishing. Several bodies of water I would love to fish due to healthy fish populations. I wish lead was the only issue.

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Lead is only one of many issues why reservoir fishing is restricted. One of the main reasons is zebra mussels. That is why the limited number of boats allowed on Shenipsit Lake are quarantined for the season. The mussels multiply fast and clog intakes. Once introduced to a body of water they are impossible to eradicate.(Google zebra mussels,Lake Michigan) The only thing enforcing a lead ban is gonna do is multiply the cost of tackle ten-fold..............You wanna throw out everything in your tackle box and have to replace it at ten times the cost? No?..............I don't either.

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:24 am

i am not a proponent of the ban at all and please dont take it that way. I am just saying i would be willing to pay the increased cost to be able to fish all the additional water. My tackle box does not have very much lead in it, as i fish weightless worms, have just a few jigs and some lead inserts for my tubes, which i just got. Jig prices are double, 6 instead of 3 but ten times might be a little overkill. The problem in my eyes is it limits younger anglers that dont have much cash and fish to stay out of trouble. I would rather they fish than drink and throw rocks at cars on the expressway. The state is a big taker so i can see the problem, you propose a compromise they take your side of the deal and never give up their side.....

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:43 am

Done once again

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:22 am

"The state is a big taker so i can see the problem, you propose a compromise they take your side of the deal and never give up their side....."

EXACTLY!...................Besides,as I understand it,the lead ban they keep trying to enact has nothing to do with drinking water. The EXTREME tree-huggers believe that certain water birds go around eating lead sinkers like they're Tootsie Rolls which is just not the case. Rolling Eyes

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:50 am

Just for ha-ha's I had a look at what tungsten weights cost. If there ever is a lead ban most fisherman are gonna wanna fish Tungsten over steel as steel just doesn't have anywhere near the weight to mass ratio of lead. (too much steel to achieve the same weight). Check it out. $5.99 for what amounts to 3/4 of an ounce of tungsten for nail weights (8-3/32oz) and $7.49 for either 3-3/8 ounce worm weights or 2 1/2 ounce worm weights. And here's the kicker 2-1oz flipping weights......................$11.99!..............are you shittin' me? If that ain't a dramatic cost increase I don't know what is.

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:08 pm

If I heat the tungsten to 6170°F, I can still pour my molds! Laughing

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Humm time to finish inventing ceramic sinkers that shatter when you hit rocks as you cast so ppl need to replace them often ....they can also work like a rattle when used with brass beads ,,,,

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:50 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links