Which pole would you choose
Lamiglas XL665C Excel 6 ft.6 in. Rod
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
St. Croix Rage Casting Rods Model: RC68MHF (6' 8", MH)
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Fenwick MH-Fast Elite Tech Small mouth Casting Rod (6-Feet 9-Inch)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Damikii Dark Angel Cast Rod 6'6" Med Hvy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
another choice not listed
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
E21 Wild Black Carrot Stix Casting Rod 6'9" Med Hvy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

I have been looking all over the place and am looking to get my first bass jig rod. I think i may be tending tward a heavyer weight, the topend on all the rods i have selected is 1oz. This is easy to reach using a jig with a big trailer, an i may try and double duty this as a light swimbait rod. Considerations are fast action, and less than 7'. Longer rods are a pain to transport, and the seven footer i have now is to long to transport easily. Please vote for the pole you would choose and please feel free to post why that is the best choice or propose another. Over 150 dollars is not going to be easy, but the damikii looked like a great pole, but there are mixed reviews.

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Always liked my st croix. Have a bunch of cheaper rods ugly stix, Penn's etc usually let friends use those. Aside from my custom rods st croix has worked great.

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:23 pm

A good rod that I've been using is from Cabela's, it's like been permanently on sale for $30-50 from $100something called Camo. I bought one when they were $30 and I can't complain, I use one for cranking but you could try one for jigging more than likely

Update: another great rod that's on sale at the moment

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Bionic-Blade-XPS-Trigger-Rods/product/10210581/-1749644

Hope it helps

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:58 pm

i have seen a lot of bad reviews on the rage lately, via takle warehouse, and they are not looking so great right now. I am looking at the lew's team speedstick, but cant seem to find anything on that one at all. There is one review on tackle warehouse and its not in the same size and only talks about a very short term usage. The size is right, the lure size is good and i like the look a lot. Its at the top of the price range, and amazon has it for 177 shipped. Wish i had a little more info on that one!!!!

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:51 pm

@ zak the rod in the same configuration is Estimated Shipping: $16.50
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total: $76.47
Thats not a bad deal, but this is my tax return gift to myself, and the rod for the year....

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:04 pm

I'll be heading to BPS this Friday on my way to the Cape, so technically I could pick it up for you but I don't know if they allow someone else who didn't order to pick it up. And for the money, I've heard pretty good reviews about G. Loomis' side project Temple Fork Outfitter Rods (TFO), I believe their $99. Buddy of mine just bought the 10' shore casting one for stripers/blues on Cape and loves it. Hope it helps!

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:09 pm

the lew's rod is made in china, isn't it all. Called and they guy did not have a weight but threw it on a scale and sent me a weight of 5 oz. Thats decent, but i cant believe that they dont know, or have the spec. Choices for buying in the good ole US of A are not looking good. Even most st croix are made out of country minus there supper premium rods. Still like the look, but still no reviews to talk about...

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:12 pm

I've also fished several of the TFO rods side by side with the GLoomis Pro Greens. The TFO rods offer a lot of bang for buck. I did break a 9w flyrod this past week and am sending it back under their lifetime warranty program. Haven't used the others you are looking at.

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Can not beat All Star or G. Loomis rods. They may be a little more expensive but it's well worth the money.

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Medium heavy with fast action is what I like with my jig pole. I have abu garcia vetitas. I have had very good luck with that pole it is very light, lots of backbone, and sensitive. I have had a couple jigging rods before and so far the abu is my favorite. Hope this helps.
Dan

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 pm

thanks dan, i have herd a lot of good things about the abu poles. In the end i may revise my pole to add that or redo a diffrent pole, as i keep changing my mind. Just for fun i was taking a peak at the megabass poles, and you need to run a mint to fish with there gear, but it sure is nice. For the price of one of those you might as well have a custom done to your specs, problem with that is knowing what i really want. Maybe i could borrow poles from a few people to get a feel for what i like. Been a spinnig guy my hole life and the only bait cast rod and reel i have used at all is the st croix premier musky and daiwa luna i have now.... I got my daiwa advantage htsl baitcaster in the mail today, it may help motivate my search!!!!

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:54 pm

Hey, on Tacklewarehouse.com has a sale section and they are selling Shimano "Sales" rods for like 20% of it looks like. I assume they're the rods they bring to show their new quality at like fishing expo's. I may be looking into on of them.

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:27 am

John you didnt even list the most obvious choice wheres the Zebco 202 with the micky face .............. remember ive been out with ya a few time and im sure your son could give ya a lession or 2 on 1 that would realy trim your target skills.......... All jokeing aside bud im still a Ugly stick guy there cheap like me and hold up well to abuse

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 am

I like to use bps to look at the reviews and too see all the different rods. Same with tackle warehouse. Then I will go searching online for rod I want for cheapest price. Usually you can find what you want for much cheaper than bps or cabelas has it. I have found good deals on amazon and ebay for brand new rods just cheaper than bps.

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:19 am

Yea believe it or not i spend a ton on amozon. Thats where i found the fenwick smallmouth i have, and also has the cheapest price on the lew's rod i like as well...

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:10 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links