Hey all new to the site. The wife and I will be moving down to Connecticut around August-September when my company moves to Bristol. We're looking for a waterfront year round rental/rent to own on a good bass lake within a 30 mile radius to Bristol. We currently live on a private lake in north central Mass. The bass fishing here is awesome so we'd like to try for the same down there. We're looking for info on a few lakes like Cedar lake in Bristol, Highland lake in Winsted, Bantam Lake in Morris etc. Couldn't find any fishing info for Cedar Lake at all, but drove by it over the weekend and it looks ok. So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. We have a 16' bass boat so size of the lake would have to be big enough for it.

Thanks everyone.
John

Posted Wed May 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Cedar lake is private. I was up at lillinoah in Newtown the other day and the bass are moving around and feeding. Candlewood is great. Are you a member of a club? We hae a little one in Naugatuck around 12 members. Would be great to have a new member. I am also new to the club and bass fishing.

Posted Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 pm

sirgarlic

Cedar lake is private. . . .

Not sure what you mean by 'private'. I couldn't find anything about that, but there is what is described as a 'public boat launch' by The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station. I've never fished there though, so consider the source.

http://www.ct.gov/caes/cwp/view.asp?a=2799&q=345414

Posted Wed May 04, 2011 7:35 pm

I think that's a different Cedar Lake. The one we're looking at houses on is in Bristol on route 69. But also, yes the wife and I belong to a small bass club here with like 10 members and will be looking for the same down there. We're not sure of a definite date yet, but I'll keep checking back for updates. Thanks much for the info everyone.

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 6:38 am

Sorry, never mind!
pramsey

sirgarlic

Cedar lake is private. . . .

Not sure what you mean by 'private'. I couldn't find anything about that, but there is what is described as a 'public boat launch' by The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station. I've never fished there though, so consider the source.

http://www.ct.gov/caes/cwp/view.asp?a=2799&q=345414

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 6:48 am

Cool thanks anyways, and if you happen to hear anything about Cedar lake let us know. It's not far from where my company will be in Bristol, so right now it's on the top of our lake/house list, but only if the fishing is at least decent. Gotta keep your priorities straight Surprised

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 6:55 am

If you are not a member of the association you cannot get out on the lake. People that live on the lake are so protective that several years ago they threatened a local bait shop for selling bait to people going to the lake to fish off of the shore.

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 7:10 pm

The Cedar Lake that Pramsey is speaking about is in Chester. I rented a cottage on Cedar Lake many years ago the fishing was great.

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 7:17 pm

So the one you're talking about is on our map as Cedar Swamp Pond?

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 7:19 pm

I guess it is just looked. I have never heard it called that before.

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Yes it's called Cedar Swamp Pond on the maps, I guess the association renamed it or something like that. If possble we hoping to find something to rent when it's time to move down there, or it's on our list anyhow. Thanks again for the info.

Posted Sun May 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Hey all, gonna be heading down this weekend to check out a few waterfront house rentals. Any opinions on the following lakes: Pocotopaug, Highland Lake, Lake Zoar, and Lake Beseck. Any fishing, boating and swimming updates would be very helpful. Also gonna grab our 3 day fishing licenses, any good shore fishing locals in those areas? Thanks much. Cool

Posted Mon May 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Lake Beseck has public boat launch on east side. Haven't fished the open water there yet this year, but had good luck on the ice this past winter. Hooked into LMB up to 4lb, but there are bigger in there. Also pickeral & pike. Heard they were catching pike in the 30" + range near the dam. Biggest we had was 27". Abundance of yellow perch and calico. The beach on the west side is private for residents, otherwise, no public beach for swimming.

Posted Mon May 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks for the reply, the house we were going to look at on Beseck is gone. So that's not on our list at least for now. Hows Beseck for shore fishing?

Posted Tue May 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Never tried it, but the lake is surrounded by houses and private property, so access from shore is minimal.

Posted Tue May 10, 2011 8:33 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links