Launched the kayak this mornining in East Hartford at 7:30,got a schoolie right off the bat on a big shadrap,thought it was a good omen..............WRONG! Nothing more to show for the day except a catfish that came on an eel. Drifted eels and casted all the way down to Keeney Cove where I took out at 1:30......Boy it was a wet morning!

Posted Sat May 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Way to cover the A M shift carp, too bad no fish.

I hit it up north here after the rain mid afternoon with 'the shark' for a couple hours.

My first and best hit saw a yellow top water swimmer being stolen by a fish due to equipment failure, knot break (not a poorly tied knot.)

Had 3 more misses (short strikes) they just didn't seem to hit the top water plugs aggressively enough or I was just asleep at the switch!

So in other words I had a three more, what we have started to call
' fukerdude's ' Wink

Posted Sat May 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Nice try Carpy....did you go down thru the "honey holes"???

Lung, I can totally understand the "misses" and the fact you may have been "asleep" after the day you had yesterday on the ocean.
First time I have EVER seen you run out of Bud Heavies!

I think you and Carp should charter my boat for a day soon!!!

Posted Sat May 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Tbob, I was tempted to go down where we hit it big earlier in the week but it would of been a four mile paddle back upstream to end the day,hit all the usual spots between Wethersfield and Keeney, ALOT of boats out there today,I was suprised,figured the forecast would have scared alot of people off. A couple of guys fishing on the shore had a 42 incher on the stringer,the bastards were using alewives for bait! Dem sons of b!tches!!!

Posted Sat May 08, 2010 8:31 pm

It is good to see some people made it out yesterday. Too bad the fishing wasn't better. We got spooked by the weather. But, we are already checking next weekends forecast to try out some of Carp's tips.

Posted Sun May 09, 2010 6:52 am

tbob55

Absolutely captain tbob, fill me in on your open dates.

Posted Sun May 09, 2010 11:04 am

aqualung

tbob55

Absolutely captain tbob, fill me in on your open dates.

I'm in for sure!

Posted Sun May 09, 2010 1:50 pm

Oh boy...even the Lung is gettin tired of his Northern stretch of water it sounds like....hope you can make the transition to some deeep river water.

Posted Sun May 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Windy weather & some dirty water slowed us down a bit for a week or so up here.
Managed to get out with 'the shark' Thursday & Friday evening on the SS Grumman.
On Thursday I managed a 28" keeper on a Arkansas shiner zoom super fluke with a white lead head, and a few shorts on the same.
I think the Shark ended up with one short on an eel Thursday.

However 'The shark' would redeem himself the next night (Friday) with a nice 36" fattie on an eel.
I ended up with one short about 22" on top water popper.

Posted Sat May 15, 2010 9:53 am

Nice fish Mark! Way to stay after em guys. Me and TBob will be at it on Monday,there are rumors that Mr.Lung will make an appearance,how about it Bob? Any truth to that?Rolling Eyes

Posted Sat May 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Lung,tell mark nice fish for us!....he used to be on here wasnt he?

carpy,the back seat has been extended to the lung.....but it all depends on if he wants to work that day and /or if he can roll out of bed early enuf to join us. We shall see!

Posted Sat May 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Mark is still on, he just doesn't take the time to post Rolling Eyes

It's a little more complicated than you explain tbob, unfortunately I will not be able to join you guys in the A.M.

Hit the river last evening with skipperj9 for a few hours on the SS Grumman, same deal as the last few nights...struggle a bit just to catch short fish, but eventually a keeper comes over the side, this time it was Matts turn..a 34.5 on a swim bait.

Posted Sun May 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Understand Lunger...no prob....next time.Tell skippy nice fish for us!
But it looks like a 34 to me. Laughing

man...this thread has over 1600 views now!keep it goin guys!

Posted Sun May 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Launched in Wethersfield Cove around 9:00 AM. Headed out to the river and paddled up a ways and drifted back to channel. Did this twice with no luck. Gave up on striper and went back into cove and caught a 2lb LMB on white spinnerbait. Entire shoreline of cove was boiling with what looked like Alewife feeding on fry. Lots of boats out and several kayaks. Nobody seemed to be having any luck. Called it quits at 3PM. Try again next weekend.

Posted Sun May 16, 2010 7:53 pm

The carpmeister and I hit it again today.All fish came between 8 and 11.Got my first ever on a surface popper when all hell broke loose not too far from the boat.I hooked up and then carp threw his shadrap right in behind me and the fight was on for both of us.Everett ended up with two fatties at 36 each and I had a 34 and two at 29,one of which was released of course.Tooo much fun!

Posted Mon May 17, 2010 3:09 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links