I moved to Redding Ct. from Chicago a few days ago. I got my Ct. fishing license today, but will not have my boat out here until late May. Any ideas about places to start from shore close to Redding?

I found a party boat our of Bridgeport that starts on 4/15. I plan to get out there very soon after the opener.

Posted Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:35 pm

Welcome Scott. Have u picked up the fishing guide? Also, Our season starts the 3rd Saturday of April. The guide will tell you where to go and when amd maybe some members here will do the same, LOL!

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:30 am

Fresh or salt?

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:47 am

Freshwater. I got my license and the Anglers guide yesterday. There is tons of beautiful water around here, but I don't know where start. I may just have to wait for the opener and see where I notice people fishing.

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Scott check out tackle box tap> anglers guide. It lists ponds and streams that are stocked. This will give you a chance to scout spots before opening day.

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:53 pm

Scott, What do you mostly fish for? Trout season is starting and stocking is being done by our DEP. Water is cold, fish are slow, but will pick up fast shortly.

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:16 pm

Good advice guys. I have only targeted trout a time or two. Most of my experience is bass, walleye, and panfish. I think I will try to fish for trout this season; I was reading the the regulations about them today.

I could a heads up on rigging and bait? Any ideas would be welcome. Back home we would probably use a bobber (float).

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:14 pm

I just use small rooster tails and phoebe fish.

Posted Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:11 pm

Hey Scott,I moved here from Chicago about a year ago now and yes there is alot of beautiful water up here.Haven't done as much fishing last season as i would have liked to but I've learned a thing or two about the fishing here and I owe alot of it to this site and the guys who contribute to it.I can't say enough good things about everybody on ct fishfinder,lots of good guys here.A couple of things that take some getting used to,not many walleye up here for one,as far as i can tell they're only stocked in a handful of lakes and i have yet to figure out the ones that are supposed to be in the rivers.Lots of good bass fishing and just about every body of water I've fished so far has really nice perch fishing,The pike fishing is outstanding,lots of big pike up here.the pickerel are different,you'll see.Do some bass fishing and you'll know what I mean,they're little kamikazes!I have yet to target trout so I don't really have any information for you on that,I'll be doing that for the first time on opening day.I'm also going to focus on the stripers this year,caught a few last season and boy are they fun!They smack your bait as hard as Sammy Sosa used to hit baseballs,(or Frank Thomas,if you're from that part of town,ha).I live near Hartford and have yet to do any exploring in the area where you reside so I don't have any information on any bodies of water in your nek of the woods.All in all I think once you get a handle on the fishing here you'll enjoy it,I'm still learning and exploring myself.Yes,I do miss Lasalle,Heidecke,the Fox,Rock and Kankakee but I've found some new favorite places and I'm sure you will too.Good Luck and Welcome.

Posted Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:00 am

Some nice spots on the Norwalk river, particularly in Wilton. There is heavy stocking of trout. Light tackle is best since it is a small river. You can also purchase a permit for the reservoir. It is an additional permit needed beyond your license. Good fishing from the banks in many spots, although parking is not easy. The Saugatuck also has a nice snapper run in the early summer.
Explore and enjoy! Go Fish

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:58 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links