Can anyone clarify to rules for me please. Are you allowed to catch and release prior to opening day (April 18th) or you can not fish at all until then?

Specific to the Salmon River. I remembered hearing a rule that allows fly fishing in the TMA one week prior to opening day. Is that still the case this year? Is that catch and release or can you take them then?

Any clarification will be much appreciated. I don't want to break any laws my first day out.

Posted Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:14 pm

I'm not too sure. I remember somthing about fly fishing, but I thought it was per lake/stream. Meaning, one stream would allow fly fishing and another would not. I just simply wait till opening day to fish the streams. It's safe that way.

Good luck.

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:47 am

Well done E. I'm not a Trout fanatic and wouldnt want to be shoulder to shoulder competing for an 8 inch fish or that 1 biggie that was thrown in. I like watching that on the news! My own rule is wait untill the 3rd saturday, plan ahead and then go have fun. I've always wanted to go to the hatchery but never did. Maybe someone can take a kid fishing, LOL! Jeff

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:59 pm

ehertzfeld

Then again, I just found this.

http://www.ctfishfinder.com/phpBB2/dep-2009-preseason-trout-stocking-well-underway-t1397.html

Thanks, I found this in that link you gave:

"Trout anglers looking for an early start to the fishing season can visit one of the state’s sixteen Trout Management Areas (TMA). All these popular areas are open for pre-season catch-and-release fishing. The TMA’s on the Mill River (Fairfield), Saugatuck River, Pequabuck River (including Coppermine Brook), Hammonasset River, Hockanum River, Mill River (Hamden), Naugatuck River, Farmington River, Mianus River, Willimantic River, Moosup River, Yantic River, and Salmon River have already been stocked. There are also plenty of large holdover trout in the TMA’s located on the West Branch Farmington River and the Housatonic River (Housatonic River TMA in Cornwall/Sharon)."

I have seen a bunch of fly fishermen on the Salmon River in the TMA already but I wanted to be sure first. Thanks!

-Stan

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:50 am

23 inches, and close to 5 lbs

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:35 pm

naugatuck river tma

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:36 pm

Very nice Online, when was that? What did u use for bait?

Posted Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:43 pm

I got this one on tuesday april 14 at about 3 in the afternoon with a 1/6 oz rainbow phoebe

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:49 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links