looking to do some small projects, like build a few inline spinners and repair some old ones that i have. I figured this might be a great way to find out if i enjoy doing this type of thing. If i do i may start with jigs from marabu and more spinners. Any advice? Love to sit by someone and get some pointers.

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:48 pm

funny you should bring that up aj, I bought a couple of suick pike lures at cabela's last time I was there. When I discovered how simple they are I started trying to make them my self. Got the wood and hardware (except the hooks) at http://www.jannsnetcraft.com working on perfecting my patterns, but they're getting better! I've got the process pretty well established, but need to fine tune the details.

The nicely painted ones are store bought at $16.00 + each at Cabela's. Not counting paint, labor, shipping and bandaids, the hardware and wood for maybe ten 7" lures cost around $20.00.

Last edited by pramsey on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 pm

I made single hook bluefish poppers for awhile because I had trouble finding any without trebles, and when I switched to a single tail hook the action was messed up. (they floated on there side) Lately I've just been making fluke rigs,and repainting and changing hooks on most of the many lures I 've thrown to the side over the years. Although my lures didn't look pretty, it felt great to catch something on a homemade lure.
A lurebuilding site I liked alot was http://www.tackleunderground.com/

Posted Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:34 am

Hile Spinners on ebay have kits or buy them already made. CHEAP CHEAP. I buy the ones the look like gold Thomas Spinners.

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:09 pm

i could buy whatever i want thats not the point. Killing time in this wonderful northeast winter, and getting some quality garage time in working on man projects is where its at. Besides, nothing like the pride in your own work...

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:06 pm

first efforts. I did the teasers first and they came out like i wanted. I keep hearing that there is to much material on most lures, so i did not use a lot. I also tried to focus on having the hair ends, due to better movement. there is not so much info on jig tying. I find tons on flys, but not everything seems to transition well.[/img]

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:16 pm

They look pretty good to me!

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:43 pm

In tryed my hand at every thing from flys , poppers, inline spinners, jig molding ,and rapala type stix baits, shoot me a pm we can chat about supply gathering, tools, paints and any triks i might have you can use ....but first tool I can tell ya to look into is a air brush check harbor freight online for whats avalible then pick it up in Berlin at there store (acrost from movie plex) dont spend a lot on tools at first .Oh ya look into a dremel type roto tool also if your planning any wood body baits there worth there weight in gold ... talk to ya later

Posted Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:47 pm

i have made a few topwater lures but haven't really made anything else.

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:29 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links