i would like to know what stuff works well for bowfin

Posted Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:39 pm

why did it post the same thing twice!!!

Posted Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:41 pm

timmeh

why did it post the same thing twice!!!

You may have clicked submit twice thinking the first did not go.
Or you have been attacked by the gremlins like has been happening a lot to me lately here on the site.
I deleted your previous (duplicate) post.

Posted Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:48 pm

timmeh

i would like to know what stuff works well for bowfin

Never heard of anyone targeting bowfin before, good luck!
http://www.livestrong.com/article/152830-what-bait-to-use-for-bowfin-fishing/

Posted Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:09 pm

I never targeted bowfin but from what I have heard Enfield cove has produced some, seems the northern section of the CT river is your best bet, no clue about gear. I never did check out Pram's link so maybe your question has been answered.

Posted Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:27 pm

The Enfield area is definately your best shot. Launch above the dam (Thomasville?). Head up river and look for a narrow cove on the east bank. It is shallow (<5ft?) and not too clear; there is debris. Last I new this place was packed with bowfins.

I have had luck with regular bass gear or try crayfish for bait. They are very strong and have conical teeth (do NOT thumb the lip). They have a pair of tubercles off the nose and can smell as good as they can see. Once hooked, keep them out of any debris. They have a nasty little talent at getting past an obstruction then making a 90degree turn behind and around it.

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

I live in Enfield, and fish the river often. I have never caught, or even heard of anybody catching bowfin in that cove. That's not to say that they aren't preasent, just not my experience. The mouth of that cove has silted in real bad this year, also. You will not even be able to get in unless the water is high.
I have heard of them being caught in Keaney Cove quite often - especially this spring. They were being caught more often than bass for a while there. Weathersfield covealso has them, and I have heard that Scoville Res. also contains them.
For gear, I would suggest at least 40lb floroucarbon for a leader on anything you use. Less visible than steel yet strong and abrasion resistant.

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:57 pm

I guess I'm the first to mention it then Very Happy ! The last time I was there was Spring '08 I believe. May have been Fall '07. No mistaking it though, definately Bowfin. Landed close to 2 dozen. I'm not surprised that the cove has silted in; it was already on it's way when I was there.

Keeney Cove sounds like the new "Bowfin Spot." I get a lot of stories through the store about the Bowfin there, I just haven't experienced it myself.

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:45 pm

the only bowfin i have caught was on a live bluegill we weighted down and threw in after bass.

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:33 pm

a basic bass rig is basically all you'd need..but high pound test line(braid) would be recommended as they are power fighters...they fight like a trout on steroids, but jump more..and when they jump they usually snap the line or bend the hook. They have incredibly tough mouth tissue and very large conical teeth so a sharp strong hook is necessary. did i mention they maim lures? especially plastics and spinnerbaits. but catching them on lures is really tough, especially in places where their population density isnt really that high, such as the CT river. Best use live bait like big shiners or sunnies, or cut bait might work to as they are very scent oriented hunters. Longmeadow Cove over the CT line into Mass. is a good spot in early spring, as they breed in there. and Scoville Reservoir in Wolcott has a stable population that refuses to die off no matter how many times they drain the place. Considering how much fun they are to catch and how many invasives are in there already, i say let them stay. they've earned it...lol.

Posted Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:56 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links