I was trying for hickory shad Sunday but that changed fast. There were a few shad around but I noticed a good size boil in front of the bridge piling. I was fishing the incoming tide side of the bridge so I cast a few feet in front of the structure and let the zoom drift in. I had a good hit and hooked up, the fish hauled ass with the tide so I chased it to the other side of the bridge and after a few more runs landed the fish. It was a bass close to keeper size and pushed my light outfit to the limit (6ft. rod with 6# test line). The action kept up until the tide came up and I was unable to reach the piling. I landed about 20 bass from 16 to 26". I was using zoom smok'n shad 6" with a 1/8 oz. tube jig. The fishing shoud be good for the next 3 weeks give it a shot it's a great way to spend a fall day.

Posted Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:12 am

Awesome flea! sounds like you found your own private school of schoolies, and gave your rod and reel a real work out.

Posted Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:08 am

Good report flea!!!...sounds like you had a buncha fun!!!Congrats!

Posted Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks. I bet a night trip with the proper bait would produce bigger fish. Two years ago I was about to land a hickery shad when a big bass hit it and ran needless to say with 6# test it didn't turn out well.

Posted Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Went out twice this weekend. Once to Beach Pond (Saturday) and on Sunday went to Pachaug Pond, first to the extreme south end in the yak (met up with a buddy from work there), and then to the north end by the dam to fish from shore. When that got me zip (incidently my buddy got zipped, too) I went to Fitchville Pond for a while and came up with 1 (one) bluegill. After that I was bummed out and thought this was my last trip out for the season! THEN sandflea puts up this story and I see Houston style’s pics from Coventry Lake and I think, OK maybe one more trip. One thing I have learned is that there is NO CURE for the fishing bug!

Posted Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Don't stow your gear yet pramsey Pike are starting to hit well in the CT River and the Schoolies are always willing to play.

Posted Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking at maybe heading over to the Salmon River Launch or Hadlyme Ferry Launch to hunt for some pike. My wife will be ticked off a little but I will not reveal anyone's names (I promise). But I need a little warm spell on a weekend. I'm not set up well for cold weather.

Posted Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:53 pm

No pike for me today, but I did catch another redear sunfish (or is it a pumpkinseed?) and 1 yellow perch. I don't know who was crazier, me sitting in the yak in the cold in Chapman Pond or the powered para-sailers I saw south of the Goodspeed Opera House/Airport.

Last edited by pramsey on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:37 pm

You had them all to yourself,isn't that the best! Congrats Flea!

Posted Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:49 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links