Launched at Dock Rd about 5:30am, definitely should have been there an hour earlier. Headed straight for the power plant and there were blues all over the place busting on bait. I was throwing a sub-surface "walk the dog" plug at them every time they showed their selves and hooked up just about every time. I don't know why blue fish get such a bad rap. I absolutely love catching them. Sure they tear up your gear but so what,they're a blast! I ended up landing a half dozen of those,nothing big though,up to 17". But pound for pound,no doubt they're the strongest fish I've ever hooked into. Those little blues pull harder and put any 5lb plus largemouth to shame. I was hoping the stripers would make an appearance but they never did so when that action cooled off I went out to deeper water and tried some fluking in Two-Tree Channel. Surprisingly the fluke were no where to be found. I ended up with 1 short and a couple of Sea Robins. I was jigging with squid strips and dead shiners. After trying a few more spots I headed back to the discharge and hooked this one on an eel. I brought 4 eels with me and yeah the other 3 got shredded by the blues and I did have one monster blue on for awhile till he shredded my leader and got off. But I managed to get one down to the targeted species and it paid off. I do so well with eels in the spring that if there is any chance for bass I can't help but bring a few with me every time I go out. After that fish I had been battling the wind and a strong out-going tide for awhile so I decided to call it a day around 11:30. And for those who are paying attention,yes I finally pulled the trigger on the BassYaks trolling motor set-up for my kayak and I could not be happier. Yesterday was the first day I had a chance to take it out and in my three seasons with the kayak it was the best,most care-free day of fishing I've had on it. I plan on posting a full review on it when I get home from work tody so stay tuned! I'm motorized!.............I almost forgot,my kayak measures 33" across the beam. My original measurement of the fish was 36" but I think I might have got it wrong as it looks a little bigger than that in the picture. WoooHooo!

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:53 am

Sounds like a fun filled day! Let see a few pic of the "newly armed" yak! I have to wait a wile to get my ocean. Changing jobs and now need to purchase tools.

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:53 am

Nice you got into some fish, and a nice striper to boot.
The bad rap bluefish get is they are not good table fare and if you are targeting stripers can not just chew up your gear but destroy it.
I'm with you regarding a great fight pound for pound, they are a blast. Just an FYI I was talking with a site member the other day and he has been live lining blues 15"+ for stripers and catching in the area you were fishing Wink

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:16 am

Great report; the waters off Niantic sound HOT!

I agree that Bluefish get a bad rap, and I feel it is unwarranted. Most people feel they are bad table fare and don't fish for them. They target other species and when the Blues tear up their gear before they hook something else it gets fustrating. Dogfish get the same rap I think. With myself, however, every fish has a place on my dinner table. I like to make snacks out of Bluefish meat. I smoke 100% of my Bluefish. Cut the fillets into strips and serve with cream cheese and crackers. You may argue that all I'm tasting is the smoke or the brine, but, as I said, every fish has its place! I had so much Bluefish in my fridge last year I was eating smoked Bluefish sandwiches for breakfast. No joke! Just brush your teeth after or you'll lose friends Laughing

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:08 am

Great report. Nothing wrong with battlin' blues! I don't mind them ripping through Fin-S bodies at all. The eels get pricey. Now that you've got the bassyaks motor, you should try motoring over towards Harkness early am. I've had luck over there the past few weeks dragging tube and worm over a couple of areas along Goshen beach up towards the Cove outflow, and eels work even better. Usually 10-12 ft, but there are a few piles in around 14" that hold a fish or two. Also casting almost onto the beach for schoolies that are right up on bait in 5-6'. About 4:00-4:30 is a great time to hit the water, as you will start getting light by 5:00. Great fish, nice boat setup. Lot's of fishing season left to land more!

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks for the tips Lung and RNE. I will probably get back out there Wednesday next week.Protacanthopterix I've been toying with the idea of buying a smoker for years as I love smoked fish. But it seems to me that that can evolve into a whole nuther,quite involved hobby and I don't think I can fit another one in. Between my job,the crazy hours I work,the 28 or so fish tanks in the basement and fishing there is NO time left for anything else. The old lady is getting left-overs as it is. Very Happy And Hertzy,it will probably be next week before I take some pictures of the new set up but trust me,it is SWEET!

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:38 pm

ALRIGHT CARPY...WAY TO GO...GOOD REPORT.....CONGRATS!!!!!!

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:17 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links