Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Oh who cares what kind of trout it is! It's a nice fish! Cool

Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:04 pm

It is too bad you caught it on the Nauggy; that way we'd be sure it wasn't a salmon. I'll put it out there that it's an Atlantic salmon even though the pic is dated April (stubburn Atlantic!) and not being able to see the dental pattern (Atlantics will have a single, weakly-defined row of teeth on the roof of the mouth) or the caudal fin. The only thing visible in this picture is the spot pattern. The spots look awfully irregular in shape to me; a trait usually definitive of an Atlantic salmon.

Posted Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:08 am

Its definitely not an atlantic salmon, I have caught plenty of them out of the naugy! I have 2 pics on my page! But its a nice fish regardless! Gota be a brown

Posted Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm thinking it is a salmon because of the silvery skin with BLACK spots. Browns have some white and orange in the spots and darker skin. A good rule of thumb is silver w/ black spots is a salmon (or rainbow which is actually from the salmon family), and dark with light spots (brown and brook) are the true trout. The spots are awfully large though and do I see a hint of pink on the sides?

Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Last edited by plugmeister on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks everyone, but as u can see if u look at some of my new pics I've been learning firsthand the difference between atlantics and browns. The fish in question here was definately a nice brown but not quite as nice as the last one I caught from lake zoar. He was about 27" and FAT! Just wish someone was with me to get a decent pic.

Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:04 am

No pics is OK, I believe you!!
Besides, over the entrance to bass pro shops it says "Welcome fishermen, hunters, and other liars"

Posted Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:43 am

I DID get A pic but unfortunately I can only upload my pics to the site but I can't add them to my post from my phone which means if anyone wanted to see them (there's only a couple good ones) u have to find them yourself. What's really disapointing to me about my brown from Zoar is that to get a catch and release trophy pin from the dep u need a pic of yourself holding the fish which is hard to do by yourself with a cell phone camera.

Posted Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:02 am

If you get a digital camera, Walmart sells miniature tripods (6" high when extended) that attach. Works pretty well when you set the timer.

Posted Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Since you brought it up Mac, I have a small Nikon that I carry in the yak, but it's not water proof, what do you guys carry for takin' pics. My Nikon D50 is too big and too expensive to carry around like I did last season.
mac636

If you get a digital camera, Walmart sells miniature tripods (6" high when extended) that attach. Works pretty well when you set the timer.

Posted Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:07 pm

Casio Exilim. Not waterproof but takes a beating.

Posted Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:52 pm

I would have to agree with you Dave i'm almost positive that's a brown trout.Look at this picture of one http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/usfws/browntrout.jpg/medium.jpg

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:23 am

onlineusername

I got this baby from the tma on the naugatuck river, 23 inches and just about 5 lbs. Im just not sure what it is.Trout or salmon? any help would be cool!!!

Tats a NICE BROWNTROUT!!! Exclamation

Posted Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links