My wife and I relocated to northeast Pennsylvania late last fall from Connecticut. This past weekend I finally got to do some fishing here in PA. What I have found very frustrating here is that almost all lakes are private so the options for fishing are few. My dad came down early Friday morning and we hit Lake Lackawanna which is in Lackawanna state park. The wind was really blowing, constant 20+mph with gusts over 40 and fishing was tough. My dad managed 1 decent bass about 14 inches and a small trout about 6 inches. I landed 1 bass also about 14 inches, missed another decent one and landed a dink. We finally had enough of the wind and called it a day around 4.

Saturday we hit a little pond called Ford's lake. The wind had really died down and Ford's had much better structure than Lackawanna. We were both really looking forward to some good action as we hit the lake about 9am. About 11:30 we each had gotten 1 bite and fishing was again very slow. Then it happened. I was throwing my new Xrap along the shore and bang! I had a hit, I saw the fish hit it and it was large, thought I had a really big bass. Fought the fish for about 10 minutes before I got it close enough to the boat to realize it was no bass, but a tiger musky! The fish took me for a couple more runs before I was able to get her in the boat. Man! What a fish! It ran over 8lbs and was about 30 inches long. I had never caught a musky before this and was amazed at the size of it's teeth and head. What a beast of a fish it was. Took a couple of cell phone camera pics which aren't great but better than nothing, and released her. We fished for a few more hours and my dad caught a really nice bass about 2lbs and we both had some smaller bass and a bunch of rock bass that were loving the Xraps.

All in all a good weekend. Although there aren't a lot of great places to bass fish in the area it'll be enough to hold me over until we move back.

Last edited by juice on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:20 am

Good report Juicey!!!....congrats on 1st musky......now go buy a good camera!!!.....get the batts charged,I am comin down for some musky!!!

Posted Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:12 am

Bass fishin? Who needs it, you've got muskie down there!!!................congrats!

Posted Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:14 pm

Awesome there juice...tiger muskie and you want girlie bass???
Great job...Nice fish!!

Posted Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:15 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links