I have been looking at some different brands of tiable steel leader material but looking for suggestions from anyone that has used the products and like or hate them. I was looking in the 20 lb range for pike, and pickerel.

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:45 pm

I bought some of the AFW Surflon Micro Surpreme 7x7 to use when the bluefish are around. I usually avoid using steel leaders at all cost so I don't miss out on any stripers, but I decided to give the stuff a shot. Haven't used it much, but I can say that it can be tricky to tie it without making it all curly, especially when tying a regular clinch knot. Otherwise it seemed to perform well.

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Use 50lb floro. Easy to tie and fish don't see it.

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 am

Never caught a pike but big bluefish can definitely bite through 50 fluoro no problem. Had one do it the other day.

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:20 am

I typically fish heavy mono or flouro leaders, but there's Toothy Critter made by Courtland, AFW Tooth Proof Titanium, and another called tygerleader that is nylon coated and can be fused. Each has its advantages/disadvantages. The AFW is nice due to the no rust factor in salt, while the Toothy Critter ties pretty well and keeps decent shape. Haven't used Tygerleader.com, but heard it's decent.

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:33 pm

the toothy critter was one that i was looking at. price seems ok on the net, would have to find a decent shop around here to get some locally, and i need it tomorrow. I will get some to have on hand for the next trip based on what people say.

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Several shops carry Toothy Critter and Tygerleader. Check out their websites for listings.

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:51 pm

I use the toothy critters bite tippets, and the Bass Pro brand. Both are decent, but I never had great luck tying them. I now crimp the flies on.

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links