Any tips on catfishing? I'm heading out to Black pond some time this weekend to give it a go. I plan on using some chicken livers for bait. Should I use my 8' surf casting rod or stick with my 6'6" bass rod. I'll probably be headed out just before sunset to set up and then fish a good portion of the night. I've never targeted catfish before and Black pond is just 10 minutes away from the house so I said why not. Any advice would help out a whole bunch.

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:52 am

Used to fish cats often years ago in Illinois. Chicken liver is tough to get to stay on the hook,especially if you are casting far. If it were me (and if they are available) I would chunk up an eel in 2" pieces. Or big shiners on the bottom work just as good. Also would plan on using circle hooks otherwise you'll be dealing with gut hooked fish all night. Good luck!..........................Also would probably stick with the bass rod, not familiar with the lake but I don't imagine there are many 10lb+ cats swimming around. Smaller rod more fun.

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:23 am

Yeah your probably right I'll just use my bass rod.

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:49 pm

So this is what I'm going to use for bait. Shiners, bluegills, chicken livers, and some berkley catfish bait. The shiners and bluegills I'll use whole and cut up. If I give them a few choices I'm sure they will let me know what they want.

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:28 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links