http://www.norwichbulletin.com/newsnow/x297212172/Colchester-man-identified-as-Ashland-Pond-death
Jewett City, Conn. — Craig Athorne Jr. of Colchester has been identified as the man found dead in Ashland Pond in Jewett City on Friday, state police said Monday.

Athorne, 41, formerly of Moosup, was reported missing Aug. 11 from Hopeville Pond State Park in Griswold. Hopeville Pond is connected to Ashland Pond by the Pachaug River.

State Department of Environmental Protection spokesman Dwayne Gardner said someone spotted a body in Ashland Pond at about 5 p.m. Friday. The state police’s Major Crime Squad Unit is investigating.

Athorne’s parents, David and Barbara (Lane) Hock, live in Colchester. Athorne, a 1988 Bacon Academy graduate, was married with two children and two stepchildren.

Funeral calling hours will be Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Aurora-McCarthy Funeral Home in Colchester. A memorial service will be held at the funeral home at 11 a.m. Thursday.

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:23 am

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/crime/x2092794357/Body-found-in-Yantic-River-identified-by-Norwich-police

Norwich, Conn. — Norwich police have identified the man whose body was found Saturday in the Yantic River.

Joseph Woodall, 48, of 265 Washington St. in Norwich, was found Saturday in the Indian Leap area of Yantic Falls. He was not immediately identified pending notification of his family.

Swimming is prohibited in the area Woodall was found. Police said Saturday the man was fully clothed and foul play was not suspected.

The death remains under investigation and anyone with information is asked to call police at (860) 886-5561.

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:25 am

Just read a thread on another fishin site.....the guy found in Yantic was his bro-in-law and he was badly beaten before he ended up in the water.This fact was not reported in papers.So def be very careful if fishin alone in these 2 areas.

Posted Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:48 pm

In that case it's strange they stated foul play was not suspected

Posted Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:48 pm

tbob55

Just read a thread on another fishin site.....

I'm sure you are mistaken tbob, cause I'm pretty sure there is ONLY ONE fishin' website!!

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:57 am

pramsey

tbob55

Just read a thread on another fishin site.....

I'm sure you are mistaken tbob, cause I'm pretty sure there is ONLY ONE fishin' website!!

Well at least only one that matters anyway and is basically free of the whiners and crybabies and is not over regulated and is FREE!

Posted Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:06 pm

and why did I know that was coming?

Posted Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:22 pm

tbob55

.... and he was badly beaten before he ....

Maybe I watch too many crime/drama TV shows, but if that's true maybe they withheld that info for investigative reasons.

At least they didn't say "A fisherman was recently found...."

Posted Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:29 am

pramsey....any new rumors on this???

Posted Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:56 pm

None that I've heard. One of the Norwich PD's Detective's mother (follow that?) works in my department. I asked her but she said her son was not able to answer. Under investigation and all that..........
On second thought, maybe that is confirmation!?

Posted Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Pramsey,
Love the post. Too bad the robbers didn't get a deep rip through the flesh from a large barbed hook. Couple of slashes to the face from the end of the pole wouldn't be bad either. Mark 'em for life.

Posted Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:33 pm

WINNER: FATHER OF THE YEAR AWARD.
Then you may wonder why his daughter looks less than thrilled.
14 year old Coral Wira was sitting in a boat while her father fished.
Suddenly she saw a silver flash in the air.
The barracuda had thrown the hook and grabbed her arm.
Father managed to kill the fish with a knife in the head, but Coral, needed 51 stitches.
He felt the need to pose for photos before taking her to hospital!

Posted Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:49 pm

OUCH!!!! Shocked
He actually looks quite happy.

Posted Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:01 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links