Got there at 5:30 and glad I did. The parking was over half full at daybreak. Headed to the pen and got one lazy hit. Ran inside to the river and another short hit. Worked the rocks and some other areas Mike and I had tried in the past and nothing. Pop called, so I headed in to pick them up with uncle harry in tow. Decided to run out to where Tom and I had some luck. Bait was there, but no fish, not even a blue. Pop says lets try for fluke so we drifted outside of middle breakwater with some other folks and another big O. Pop then chimes in he knows of a honey hole thats done well by him. [ now he lets it out] Off we go and soon as my bait hit the bottom, fish on for the first keeper. Pop got 7 shorts, some how I got 3 keepers with Harry getting a porgie. Good way to finish almost a bust for the day. Great weather and many bikinis to enjoy.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:55 am

Went out there a week and a half ago with a buddy,fished from kayaks.We only got a few short stripers.Supposed to try again tomorrow,I was thinking of targeting fluke myself this time.Nice to find a report on what's going on out there even though I would have prefered to hear that you couldn't keep the fish out of the boat. Wink I'll let ya know how we do.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:06 am

Way to stick with it runner and get that skunk out of the boat. You can thank pops for that Wink

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:15 pm

Just got the phone call,my buddy cancelled on me today. Maybe tomorrow.I'm up and my lunch is already packed,the gear is ready to go,think I'll hit the river.

Posted Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:10 am

Hit barn island today,between me and my partner we got 4 fluke and 2 schoolies,no keepers of either.The paddle in was murder,steady 15mph wind,rain,current and outgoing tide all at once.Won't make that mistake again.Still had a good time though,never caught a fluke before,got two,small though.Didn't know they would hit a tube and worm.

Posted Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:51 pm

Hey carp, sounds like a tough day out there. How busy is that ramp during the week? I know it's crazy on the weekends, but it's a great spot. Another place you may want to try with your Yak is Bayberry launch in Groton.

Posted Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:05 pm

I've had fluke hit crankbaits before. Going saturday morning and will see what happens.

Posted Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:25 am

Lung,I,ve heard it's a circus there on the weekends too.Been there twice,both times during the week(one of the few advantages of being layed off).During the week is the ticket,it's all but deserted!

Posted Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:51 am

Oh Lung,I have a question.Any idea how far of a run it is from that launch in Groton before I can get into fishable water?That's the only thing I don't like about Barn Island,alot of paddling before I can actually fish some good structure and a marathon on the way in.

Posted Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:56 am

Bayberry get's hectic at the launch too, but the boat traffic is NOTHING like barn island. You are 5-10 minutes from being able to fish.
You can exit out of the bay two different directions. One direction puts you at the mouth of the Thames river, the other outlet puts you to the east end of pine island. Plus it's 20 minutes closer driving wise.
Check it out, I think you will like it.

Posted Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:08 am

Appreciate the info Lung,I am going to check that one next.Thanks.

Posted Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:42 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links