Winter flounder numbers in need of recovery
By Charles Walsh
CORRESPONDENT
Updated: 04/04/2009 10:03:35 PM EDT

Been winter flounder fishing lately? Probably not.

What's the sense of devoting a day and a lot of preparation work to fish for the once-common bottom feeders when the chances of coming home with enough keepers for a decent meal are about as good as catching a shark on a drop line?

Anglers who have chased winter flounder in Long Island Sound and its bays and tributaries in the last five years were not surprised to learn that a 2008 survey found the Southern New England stock of that tasty flatfish are at 9 percent of what they once were and should be.

While ASMFC's 2008 Groundfish Assessment Report concludes that overfishing is the main cause of the plunge in winter flounder stocks, other factors (not necessarily in this order) are exploding cormorant populations and rising striped bass numbers. Both of those species consider baby and even adult winter flounder the perfect forage food. Others think the drop is just part of the fish's natural population cycle.

In response to the alarming survey findings, the Marine Fisheries Division of the State Department of Environmental Protection will conduct a public hearing for the Atlantic State Marine Fisheries Commission to gather public opinion on the proposed changes to the Interstate Winter Flounder Fishery Management rules.

The hearing is set for Tuesday, April 14, at 7 p.m. at DEP Marine Headquarters, 333 Ferry Road, Old Lyme. To reach the Marine Headquarters, take exit 70 off I-95, then take Route 156 South to Ferry Road.

The proposed changes range from drastic to minor. At the drastic end of the scale is a complete ban on winter flounder fishing (zero possession limits). Other possible actions include a ban or limit on commercial fishing and recreational bag and/or size limits. Also on the docket is a measure that would limit the number of out-of-state boats fishing for flounder in Connecticut waters.

Considering that fishing for winter flounder is so terrible right now that it is almost pointless, we side with the idea of shutting down the winter flounder fishery completely for two or three years.

If the stocks are up at the end of that period, it will mean that overfishing was likely devastating the winter flounder biomass. If stock remain low, then another cause must be considered.

Comments can also be submitted in writing until April 28. They should be sent to Chris Vonderweidt, fisheries management plan coordinator, 1444 'Eye' Street, NW, sixth floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.

For those gluttons for punishment who insist on going out for winter flounder this spring (old habits die hard), hear are some tips from the Norwich Bulletin's Bob Sampson.

n Don't stick to old flounder haunts. Explore new areas, and when you do try drifting two baited lines parallel on each side of the boat.

n If you get a fish, shorten the drifts and concentrate on that place.

n Chum pots work, and the old trick of dumping a can of corn into the water is worth a try.

n Natural baits like clams and sandworms work best. Night crawlers will do only in a pinch.

n Multi-hook rigs are the way to go and are improved when weighted with yellow sinkers and lines are threaded with similarly colored beads.

SHORT CASTS

FISHING REPORT -- Stripers, mostly in the 14- to 22-inch size, have moved into the lower Housatonic River in good numbers. Fly fishers and spin casters are having a ball catching and releasing the lively bass wherever access to the river can be had. A few keepers in excess of 28 inches have been reported. Medium-sized Clouser flies in chartreuse and white are working well as are four-inch soft plastics in white and silver colors. Starting this weekend, expect to be shoulder-to-shoulder with the hordes of anglers migrating from New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts in some locations.

Blackfish season is open but no reports of catches have been received. Good luck to anyone who decides to try for winter flounder.

KAYAK DANGERS -- Kayak anglers who are tempted to paddle out to cast in Long Island Sound, on a lake or river would do well to note the warning of Michelle Sorensen of Sound Kayakers. April, she says, is one of the most dangerous months for cold water immersion and hypothermia injuries (not to mention deaths). While air temperatures can reach well into the balmy 60s, water temperatures are still in the 40s. A person wearing street clothes who gets dumped in water that cold will reach exhaustion or unconsciousness in 30-60 minutes, Sorensen says.

Expected time of survival is 1-3 hours.

-- CHARLES WALSH

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:03 am

I WOULD AGREE SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE,I STILL REMEMBER SOME GREAT DAYS MORE THAN A FEW AGO FISHING IN THE EARLY SPRING IN THE NIANTIC AREA AROUND JORDAN COVE FROM SHORE AND DOING WELL.IT WAS WORTH THE TRIP FROM NORFOLK.NO MORE.IT HAS BEEN QUITE A WHILE SINCE I HAVE TRIED FOR THE WINTER GUYS,I MISS IT.SEEING HOW IT'S BEEN SOME TIME SINCE I HAVE GONE ICOULD SEE A BAN ON THEM FOR AFEW YEARS.WOULD LIKE TO GIVE THE GRANDKIDS A COUPLE OF THOSE GREAT MEMORIES.AND MAYBE CATCH AFEW MTSELF!!
DEFINATLY NEED TO CUT DOWN ON THE COMMERCIAL GUYS,SOUNDS MORE LIKE THE REASON.THEREHAS NOT EVEN BEEN THAT MANY REC.GUYS FISHING FOR W.FLD.IN A BUNCH OF YEARS.THANKS,YOU GOT ME THINKING OF SOME GOOD DAYS WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS .

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:20 pm

My personal opinion, Rec guys are not the issue here...Stripers are the number one problem just like with the concern of river herring population.
There are way too many stripers now devouring everything, they need to adjust the striper regulations big time to allow reducing the striper population. That will fix many other problems all at once.

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:34 pm

good point aqualung it would not hurt at all to loosen up on the stiper regs.and still slow the comm. guys taking the flounder.

Posted Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:51 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links