how you guys doing im new here to the site as you can tell. my question is has anyone been on the hellcat2 from groton for winter cod fishing? if so how was it? im from springfield ma and go to groton and niantic area to fish on shore in the summer and sometimes i go on the mijoy747 for blues and strippers. another question is does anyone fish on shore at this time of year if so what fish are on shore right now. and if i can get a fishing buddy here for the summer with a boat it would be great i have no problem pitching in for bait and stuff.

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:38 pm

Hiya Reel emin...welcome to the site.

Once Skipperj9 see's this post he will be the guy to answer your question, since he works on the Helcat.
I don't think he is working the boat during the winter this year, but he has worked it for the two previous winters.

tbob here on the site and myself are looking to do a cod trip soon I think we will probably be going out of Mass. We can keep you posted if you might be interested.

Anyone else here that may be interested in doing a cod trip with us, just let us know.

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:24 am

The Hel-Cat II cod trips...

I don't want to mislead you or scare you away. Our cod trips are more like hake trips. We catch a lot of hake, some ocean pout, a pollock every once in a while and some other various bottom species along with some cod. If your looking to come out fishing its a great trip, the people with experience usually catch quite a bit of fish but if your looking to come fill a cooler with cod, the odds are its not going to happen. We do catch some decent cod once in a while and early in the season we usually get some jumbo seabass. As far as this year goes I cant give you an updated report seeing as we haven't been out yet. We were supposed to start the first weekend in January but we got blown out by the weather. If you'd like to give us a try weather pending we'll be trying to head out this weekend, make sure you call the office friday night to make sure we don't cancel on account of the weather.

Here is the website in case you haven't looked at it http://www.visitconnecticut.com/helcat.htm
It gives the prices and times of departure and return.

You might want to try us out in the summer too, we run a much tighter ship than the Mijoy!

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:35 am

skipperj9 thanks for the input on the hellcat. it sounds like you guys dont get much cod in the winter trips but yes i would like to come home with a cooler full of cod but i will be happy with a cooler full of any fish as long as i come back with fish im happy. i will deffinatly try the hellcat in the summer. it sounds like i might jump ship on the mijoy and board the hellcat instead.

aqualung nice to meet you i would like to join you guys for your cod trip. ive never been out of any boat from mass hard to belive huh seeing how i live in mass. ive been on al gourons boat in nh and mijoy in ct thats it.as loong as i dont have to work on the sunday you guys want to go im in oh yeah i work every saturday so that day is out for me.

oh yeah so does anyone surf fish this time of year at the mouth of the river in groton.if so i think i will make plans to go and do some fishing.

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:13 pm

Reel-em

Not sure limiting it to Sunday will work real well...but if we do a trip like, I will let you know.

I know Herring are running now if you find the right location.

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 pm

well im not going to waste my one day off a week to go surfing for herring i guess i will have to wait untill it gets alittle warmer.
but if you guys happen to do a cod trip on a saturday and i know it will be absolutly perfect day i will call out of work and go with you guys.

Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:34 pm

I hear ya on the Herring...When we do decide on a trip I will post it for all to decide if they would like to meet up on the boat.

reel em do you fish the river for the stripers during the spring run???

Reel em I started a new topic of Connecticut Spring striper run under General fresh water forum.

Sorry I lost your last post here in an effort to move it.

Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:46 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links