I get through the cold dreary months of winter tying flies for the upcoming season. In late fall, I primarily tie Pheasant tails Nymphs, ZUG BUB Specials, Caddis Pupa, and GR Hares Ear Wet fly patterns. After I have restocked those patterns, Dry fly and terestrials come next. Hendrickson, Sulfurs, Spinners, Elk Hair and Henryville Special Caddis and a foam beetle which workd well in late summer.
Last week, I started on saltwater patterns. Blondes in Chartruse & White, purple & White, Flat win Deceivers in Olive and Grey and epoxy silverside and anchovie patterns. So far I have only got 2 dozen Blondes completed so I have a lot of tying to do. College Basketball Tournament time is almost here so I will turn on the tube and try and tie until the game takes my attention 100%. Go Huskies!!!Lets hear what others are tying in preparation for the new season.

Posted Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:22 pm

I'm tying nymphs, buggers, streamers and some pike flies. I'm fishing from fall until spring so most of the time I'm tying flies the night before I go.

Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:01 am

Sandflea,
Do you do any fly fishing for pike or strickly conventional. I have been out several time on the CT River with a 7wt and had some success. No real big fish but enough action to keep me casting. Last May while fishing for Carp on the Sebeth River in Cromwell, A 24 inch pikew took my Woolyl Bugger. Was able to bech him without a cut off on 12 lb tippett.

Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Next week I'll start with the fly for pike.

Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:26 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links