With this decent little stretch of weather we are in I wanted to try and get a couple more tog trips in. Matt and I had a late start in the water by 9:30AM, didn't have much tide left but hoped to squeak a few in the boat before it fizzled out.
Hit my old faithful Black Ledge, that was just terrible, could not buy a bite, picked up and headed to a spot in the Thames, we struggled there as well but Matt did manage a short after about an hour.
Both of these spots were about 10-12 FOW
Slack tide arrived and we discussed a game plan because what we were doing was obviously not working either the fish were not there of they had a serious case of lock jaw.
Headed out to the north side of fishers there we had about 18 FOW we waited until the tide started to move, along with the tide came the wind, only problem is they were from the opposite directions.
Once a again we were struggling to find a bite. We hauled anchor again headed not sure where at this point and as I was motoring away I noticed and interesting slope on the screen, I made a couple passes over it to get an idea of what was down there and finally set anchor. First drop of the baits we knew we had finally found them they were on a slope to deeper water with the wind we were swinging in 25-35 FOW. Matt managed to get hung up 3 times in a row and lose his rigs so he was busy tying for a bit I was doing some catching, a lot of shorts with an occasional keeper mixed in. I finally hook into a decent fish and in the net she goes, about 21"not long at all after that Matt boats one just a little smaller than that. Matt had some tough luck, he had gotten snagged that 3 times, during one of his hook sets on a fish he managed to snap his St Croix, and on top of that he busted my crab knife Rolling Eyes
At the end of it all we managed to scrape together our limit.
The wind really picked up later in the afternoon, which made fishing a little more challenging not to mention a slow and a wet rocky ride back to the launch. I hope to get out there again Monday if the weather holds. No pictures this time just not a good day for that, you will just have to take my word this time.

Last edited by aqualung on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks for the report. Glad you guys finally found em and boated your limit!

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Fished Niantic Bay yesterday. Tried for stripers early. No love there. Still a couple of small blues around chewing the tails off my eels. Dropped back and fished Tog the rest of the morning. Had a couple of periods of hot n' heavy and some lulls in the action. Best bite was 22 to 28 feet of water on a drop off. Kept 2 and released another keeper. About 20 fish in total probably. Lots of smalls. Biggest went 19.5". Got checked out by DEP at the ramp. Surprisingly pleasant conversation was had. Probably could have ticketed me for cleaning fish at the ramp but didn't.

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Those are a couple nice fish Carp

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 am

Owe it all to you Mr. Lung. You taught me everything I know! Very Happy

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:47 am

carp13

Owe it all to you Mr. Lung. You taught me everything I know! Very Happy

I did?? Ohhh yea OK yea I did Razz

Anyways hit it again yesterday 11/12 with Matt, same late start as Sat. only this time we scooted right over to north side of fishers, same slow start as the other day, only the problem this time was the tide was ripping. After a couple hours of searching around the tide started to back off a little and we started to pick up some fish, then it turned on, we caught a sheet load of fish with tons of shorts in the mix, nothing huge but the ones we kept were all nice hefty fish.
The one thing that we did which I think was the reason we had such good results is the area we were fishing was a pretty large rocky section and we mover a lot and it seemed every time we moved we would get into different batch of fish. The moves were really just slight adjustments while staying in the same general area. again we were in 25-30 FOW

A pic of my limit of tog

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:06 pm

That's awesome guys! Love the pics

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Yeah dude, deeper structure seems to be the key. On Sunday when I went out there were a lot of boats on the obvious early season spots, shallow rocks/reefs, etc. They were getting shitski for the most part. I was on a drop off off of one of those obvious rock piles and was reeling them in for a good while.........................I think I I got a good handle on this togging business.....................no problem! Very Happy

Actually gonna make me a nice Blackfish stew right now!

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:34 pm

I was on a drop off off of one of those obvious rock piles and was reeling them in for a good while.

At least somebody paid attention to detail Wink

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:08 pm

I just need to report, I did not go fishing today. I caught nothing, cuz I didnt go fishing

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:12 pm

I hope to get out again tomorrow....tog fever!

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:52 pm

I know what you mean, I got it too. Holding out, waiting to see if I get good conditions on my days off. Really hate to hang up the yak and call it a wrap for the year......................Gonna be a LONG winter. Crying or Very sad

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:31 am

You could always join us cod fishin!!!....but u would need to abstain from takin a dip.

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:33 am

Lung you hear that?...........Thought I heard somethin'........................Not sure.....................Nah, probably nuthin". Wink

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:46 pm

carp13

Lung you hear that?...........Thought I heard somethin'........................Not sure.....................Nah, probably nuthin". Wink

Nope... I didn't hear nuttin

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:05 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links