Had a late start and went to Haddam Meadows to launch kayak for pike. Too windy, choppy and lots of boat traffic. Decided to head north on Rt 9 and ended up just north of Portland bridge on River road. Launched at end of road at 2:00PM. Paddled south towards mouth of Mattabasset River. Nice and calm in this section. Isolated from heavy boat traffic, too. Water temp 64 degrees. Kayaker coming off the water said he caught 4 pike and 1 LMB between 10AM and noon. I had 1 strike at 2:45PM on a zoom fluke baby bass. 10 Lb flourocarbon without steel leader. Goodbye zoom fluke. Nothing after that. Up and down shore until 5:00PM. Tide was pretty dead for the duration. Gonna try this section of river again, soon. Even on a windy day, this section may still be OK for kayak.

Posted Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:37 pm

They recommend 50 lb. braid and 3-foot steel leaders for CT River Pike fishing, bud.

I went to a seminiar at CT Outfitters on Northern Pike last Thursday night, and there are some big Pike in CT so make sure your tackle can handle the hits if targeting them.

Posted Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:12 am

Carry 3 rods on yak when I go out. All set up for various choices. Just happened to be using bass setup on edge of reeds at the time. Spot I was fishing looked like good spot for bass laying in wait. Had another baitcast with 40 lb braid and a spinning outfit with 14 lb flouro with 9" steel leader. Woulda, coulda, shoulda situation.
Three foot steel leader seems a little excessive. I don't think I could ever use something that long, especially casting lures all day. Wouldn't that deter from the lures action?
Always preferred lite tackle whenever possible.

Posted Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:54 am

I consider myself lucky on that 23" pike I caught this weekend. It was on 10 lb mono with no wire leader and I had no trouble however, I do carry 6, 9 and 18" wire leaders. I can't see the sense in anything longer than that. Shorter ones in lakes etc. where there are no known pike, but there are pickerel. Longer ones for when I know there are pike. I think the lighter the tackle the more fun! I'm looking for a pike to give me a Nantucket Sleigh Ride!

Posted Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:50 am

My thoughts exactly, Pramsey.
I very rarely use steel leaders. Always preferred tying line to lure. I know toothy critters will break off on occasion, but I fish for the sport. I will, however, use a short leader next time I am in a pike area.

Posted Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:20 am

pramsey

I think the lighter the tackle the more fun! I'm looking for a pike to give me a Nantucket Sleigh Ride!

Thus why I'm trying like heck to get one on a fly rod! Very Happy

Posted Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Sounds like a rough trip, Pramsey. Looks like the wife may have to sit out the rides on the water. Either that or learn how to squat against a tree on shore. Brutal, but truth.
A nice drive out into the woods together in the jeep may be more suitable. Smile

Posted Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:51 pm

I got burt a couple of times by pike it sucks when you lose a new lure.

Posted Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:43 pm

diggadave24

I got burt a couple of times by pike . . . .

Never had that happen to me, does it hurt?

Posted Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:29 am

I had a real bright idea to try the CT river in Middletown again this morning. Launched at 7:15 AM at the end of River Road. Water was calm, but a pretty fast current with a TON OF DEBRIS. Figured to try it anyway. Anchored just north of the island and began casting downstream into some fast current which curled around a fallen tree in about 15 ft of water. Big mistake was to set anchor line at rear of kayak so I was facing downstream. All of a sudden, kayak jerked and the nose started rising out of the water and turning to the side. I happened to have my knife in my lap at the time, so I cut my anchor line free. A large tree had come under me from behind and snagged my anchor line. Scared the crap out of me (almost literally). Paddled back to shore, sat there for about 10 minutes, and decided to give up for the day. I was only on the water for 30 minutes. Luckily only lost my anchor. Think I'll go play golf.

Posted Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:51 am

YIKES Mac....the river is high and fast right now.
Sounds like you learned a lesson today, good thing you had your knife handy. Good to hear it was just a close call.
Anchoring in the river when it's high and fast with a lot of debris is a very dangerous move. Some of those big logs can be just slightly submerged and you will never see them coming and sink you in a second.
I was hoping to drop in my Robalo in East Hartford today, decided to go check ramp first, couldn't walk out to the dock the gangway was under water and I watched a tree float by and scrapped the idea all together.

Last edited by aqualung on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:09 am

Hear, hear. Don't know if I would have been able to think that quick. Lesson learned here from your experience. Glad it turned out well.

aqualung

. . . good thing you had your knife handy. Good to hear it was just a close call.

Posted Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:10 pm

You're right lung. Dumbest move was to launch in the first place. Got up early and had tunnel vision. Should have gone inland to a local pond or lake. Definitely a lesson I'll never forget. Luckily, my knife was VERY sharp! Can't have too many knives available.

Posted Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:22 pm

I hear the Got up early and had tunnel vision.

I learned the same lesson but in a 14' aluminum boat, and it wasn't a little birdie who clued me in.
After spending several years on the river mostly in the spring high water you realize how dangerous a place the river can be.

Getting back to your trip...not that I am any pike expert by any means but from what I understand, you do not want to be in the current fishing for pike, even if it is behind cover.
I believe you want still water, but like I said, I'm no pike guy.

Posted Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:52 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links