My son and I got to Holbrook at 8 and buddy Justin (Juice) showed up about 9.We caught 1 nice crappie and 1 pick.Then no flags for over an hour so decided to make a move to a small pond I know of.
We got out on the ice and Rhet started cutting holes.Justin and I were setting up traps and the next thing I hear is "DAD"!I looked up and he had gone thru.My electric auger was laying on the ice next to him(he must have tossed it away from him).So I went over and picked up auger to use to help him get out.Next thing I know I am in the water about 8 feet away from him!What an awful feeling.Kept my composure and told Justin to bring the sled over and throw me the rope.He did and pulled the sled and got me out.Then did the same for my son.Thank you,thank you Juice!!!Whats really weird is before we left the house in the morning I was already out in my van waiting for Rhet and he finally came out and had ice picks(which I had forgotten he even had his own)in his hand.When we packed up at Holbrook they got thrown in van and thats where they stayed when we got to next place.I had my picks in a bag in my sled.They def didnt do any good there!Salvage operation for my auger to commence as soon as ice out!!!And YES, I am done for the season now!

Posted Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Bob...Geeeezzzzuuusssss!!! Good thing you guys are OK

Last edited by aqualung on Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:24 pm

okay,that was in poor taste.Took down the video. I apologize.

Last edited by carp13 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:37 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:28 pm

thank god you and your son are all right,thats some scarry stuff,going through the ice.
i hate the way those picks have such a short cord,my set,i cut the cord and made it longer,i string it through my coverall the same way little kids mitten are.that way they are always by my hands

Posted Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:25 pm

Bob, glad you and your son are OK. That truly is a nightmare. How deep was the water?

Posted Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:35 pm

Wow! That is a nightmare I'm glad you both are ok.

Posted Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Glad you guys are ok tbob. Yep seasons over!

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks very much everybody!Last night about 20 people gathered for a pub crawl to celebrate my daughters 28th birthday and needless to say I proceeded to get totally plastered!My son and I had quite a few shots and beers together and we really needed that after what happened earlier.It was an extra special night to be with family and friends!!!

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:56 pm

really glad this story had a happy ending.fell thru once[that was enough] easy to see how you could drown that water is cooold ,takes you breath away for aminute .every one be carefull out there!

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Damn! I am sorry to here that! But i am very glad to know that you guys are safe... Think That i will end my season on that note. Didnt get the big one this year but still had alot of fun. glad to know you guys will be around for more..

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:35 pm

That was a scary incident. I'm glad Bob and Rhett got out and were close to home so they could get dried off and warmed up. I know I'll be buying some picks before I head out onto the ice again next year.

Posted Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:42 am

YOU DA MAN JUICE!!!!!!!!THANKS,THANKS,THANKS FOR PULLING US OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:25 am

Tbob, glad you both got out OK.
Whoever came up with the saying "two is company threes a crowd" didn't ice fish.
Lucky to have someone around.
And here I was thinking about taking up ice fishing next year.
Well, ya still never know. Just have to add picks to the shopping list.

Posted Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks again everybody for the kind words!!!!

Posted Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Wow.

Posted Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:15 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links