Tips for using light gear on stream trout
BY J.B. KASPER
OUTDOORS

One of the nice things about living in this part of the state is the amount of small streams that are stocked with trout in the spring.

Sure, there are plenty of well stocked lakes and ponds that provide some good trout fishing. However, I feel more at home fishing for trout in a stream. There is just something about a quiet, out-of-the way small stream, and a trout dancing on the end of my line that lake fishing for trout can't duplicate.

I have never been a fan of heavy tackle, and while I do a fair amount of fly fishing for trout, I'm not a purist that has to catch every trout with a buggy whip. A long time ago I discovered the delights of fishing sub-ultra light spinning tackle for trout. After watching an episode of the American Sportsmen in which Curt Gowdy was using a tip of a fly rod to catch Argentine trout, my fishing mentor Sam and I said why not do that with a spinning outfit. So we took a four-foot tip of a fly rod, stripped it down and replaced the guides with spinning guides, and converted the reel seat to accommodate a Mitchell 308 ultra- light spinning reel.

Well, I have refined that type of rod numerous times and the up-to- date product is a 3 1/2-foot noodle rod dressed with a reel that weighs a mere 5.6 ounces. Filled with two pound test it can cast the tiniest jig or lure, salmon eggs and meal worms, in most cases without any added weight. No, you are not going to cast 100 yards with the outfit, it's not made to do that. But can you catch big fish with the outfit? Sure can and not only catch big trout, but more of them because of the light weight of the outfit.

I know many anglers might take this the wrong way, but what's the first thing you do when you are using light line and lose a fish? In most cases you blame it on the line and switch to a heavier one. It's not the light line that lost the fish, it's more often than not the anglers inability to handle the light line. So here is why you can catch more trout with a 3 1/2-foot rod with two pound test than with a heavier rod and line.

The noodle rod is a full action fiberglass rod that bends from handle to tip. As such, you can load the rod when casting, which enables it to throw lightweight baits better with a more even slingshot type motion. Baits stay on the hook better, hit the water softer and, since you can cast the outfit with the flip of the wrist, is less visible to a wary trout. That's right: less visible to the trout found in a small stream. Many of the small streams that hold so many trout are no bigger than an average one way street and are gin clear. Thus the trout found in them are very alert to their surroundings and any fast motion, such as casting a rod with your arm or body, can alert them to your presence. Wearing dark color clothes, quietly wading or walking along the banks and avoiding any fast moves will go along way to keeping the trout from knowing you are there.

Why fiberglass and not graphite? Simply put, graphite is too stiff. Setting the hook in a fish with two-pound test, especially a big fish, can often produce a cut off with graphite. A full length fiberglass rod, on the other hand, will set the hook but cushion the hit. The full length glass rod also provides a better cushion as the trout pulls the line, thus engaging the drag easier. It also works a lot bet ter when using back reeling techniques.

Many small streams disappear into the woods and the fishing is in close quarters, making larger rods difficult to fish. This is where flipping small baits with a short rod can make a big difference in your catch.

When it comes to catching bigger fish with the short wispy rod, it's a combination of the rods performance and the angler's skill that makes the difference. Think about it, a fly fisherman fishes with a super light tippet, which is actually a small piece of light line. The rig we are talking about is all two- pound test from the hook to the reel, and fighting a big fish on two- pound test means there is very little room for mistakes. Your drag should be well oiled and smooth, however, your drag should only be used to give you enough time flip your anti-reverse off and allow you to back reel the fish. Back reeling will break a big fish's run faster than using the drag as it takes the pressure off the fish and not the hook, and makes him think the thing that was keeping him from going where he wanted to go is gone. He will usually retreat into an eddy or deep water area where he is easier to handle.

One last tip for using the short rod: Since the reel seat and the reel are both graphite, and the rod is a full length action that flexes when being cast or when a fish is being played, the reel and reel seat can often loosen up. To prevent this I tape the reels to the reel seat with a small amount of electrician's tape. This not only keeps the reel from coming loose, it also adds to the sensitivity of the outfit.

There you have it: a look at using a 3 1/2-foot micro spinning rod for trout in the small streams. It's an old fishing axiom, the lighter you can go the more hits you will get. Which would you rather have, three hits and catch three fish, or 15 hits and catch 10 to 12 fish or more. So go micro-light for more trout in the small streams this spring. Your catch will be better for it.

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:48 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links