I met up with Jay at Norwich Harbor monday, we both had high hopes on catching stripers. We were the first boat out, so we had to find the fish, no problem, I have been there before. We moved around to the spots they like to hang before sun-up. Located a few on the fish finder but no luck. When the sun started coming up we trolled umbrella rigs down river past the oil company, no luck, didn't mark a fish. Trolled around the harbor with no luck. We ended up finding them up the Shetucket River by the RR bridge. There were 4 other boats there. One was flyfishing and tagging stripers and doing very well. Another was trolling and doing good. Another was casting jigs doing ok. Another was casting jigs also but not doing well. We started trolling. Jay was using the same rig the other boat was but not producing so we switched to jigs. After a while Jay had one, me nothing, just bouncing off them. After a few more passes, Jay gets another, me nothing. No one can say that we didnt try but it was a Monday thing, everything we did was wrong. We ended up losing 3 umbrella rigs and 3-4 jigs. We did get to see a bald eagle and a harbor seal. I couldn't get pics because my new batteries were dead in the camera .

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 am

(a late post-new to the site) its still nice to get out even when the catching is no good. i want to get out to the housy soon in the kayak to catch some linesiders. the spring run should be happening now!!

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:45 am

hay everyone,
well my daughter is trying to gear up for stripers. last year we went to Baldwin bridge a few times, but fishing from the pier sucked.
we want to tak out canoe out by the bridge piling's.any thought's anyone.
also has any one heard anything or know of any other spots on the CT river that might be favorable.
my daughter is 18 now but only 4'10. she'd like to try and land a striper 1/2 her size.
thank guy's.

Posted Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:49 pm

I wouldn't take a canoe to the bridge with all the boat traffic. But if you keep to the saybrook side, stripers do go along that shore to north cove. Use sluggos in white.

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:30 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links