Anyone ever target these species? My oldest boy and I headed out into Fishers Island Sound yesterday. Were we did get a few Fluke and a bunch of Porgy's, we ended up anchoring near Watch Hill Harbor. We caught 3 of these things. Just about every time we go into the sound, we usually end the day by trying for some sharks. It's a lot of fun. They put up a decent fight. Just wondering if I was the only one who gets a kick out of hooking one. Very Happy

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:44 pm

I'm going out to the sound with my buddy tommorow. I have been talking about going for shark all year I'm going for stripers and blues but I would love to get a shark. How big were the ones you were getting?

Posted Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:52 am

Can't say they are on my list of "Fish to catch" Hertzy.
They certainly are not a sought after species for the ground fishing charter/head boats Laughing

Posted Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:53 am

DOGFISH ARE THE MOST USELESS WASTE OF TIME FISH YOU CAN CATCH IF YOU CATCTH ONE THERE ARE 100 MORE AND YOU WON'T CATCTH ANYTHING ELSE. GOOD TUG ON THE END OF THE LINE BUT THAT IS IT............

Posted Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:04 pm

diggadave24

I'm going out to the sound with my buddy tommorow. I have been talking about going for shark all year I'm going for stripers and blues but I would love to get a shark. How big were the ones you were getting?

The ones we get are around 2 to 3 ft long and weigh around 4 to 5 pounds. Find your self a nice sandy area in around to 10 ft of water and anchor. I have got them on squid strips in the past. The other day we were using mackerel chunks.

Posted Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:57 pm

ive heard they use these for fish and chips in england.Ive guess there on the wrong side of the pond.I used to enjoy catching them when i was a kid.Just like catching blue gills.Ive caught up to 4 ft cod fishing.Thats when i really dont want to see em.

Posted Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Does anyone have luck for these (Spiny or Smooth) further into the Sound than Fisher's Island? I would really like to be able to find a successful spot from shore.

Posted Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:12 pm

Catch em at Harkness in the darkness! Friend of a friend, couldn't catch anything else but sure beats the skunking I got.

[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=68&u=13096288]
[/url]

Posted Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:41 pm

We launch out of Barn Island, and fish all over Fishers. We usually go into the bay "Watch Hill" and anchor for lunch. We do this, so we can fish for the sharks, wile we eat lunch. We anchor were all the yachts do, in about 10 feet of water. Put a squid strip on, or a hunk of bunker/mackerel, and toss it over. We have had days were we hooked four or five in a hours time. Makes for an exciting lunch! It's also priceless to watch the faces of the kids swimming around their boats, when they see you reel in a shark! Very Happy

Posted Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:06 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links