The DEP shocked the Farmington this week. Has anyone received any results. It would be nice to know if C&R is really working.

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:18 am

What do they do to shock the River? What are they trying to get rid of? Just curious- I'm relatively new to fishing (past year or so).

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:28 pm

I'm not completely versed in the methods used for shocking. But they add an small electric current to stun the fish. Purportedly it does not hurt them. This allow a counting and measurement to check on survival rates and for other research.

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:08 pm

steamstomper

I'm not completely versed in the methods used for shocking. But they add an small electric current to stun the fish. Purportedly it does not hurt them. This allow a counting and measurement to check on survival rates and for other research.

Really. They stun the fish. I had no idea they do things like that. I guess as long as it doesn't hurt the fish & it's in the name of conservation IT'S ALL GOOD.

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:16 pm

It's only no good if they forget to warn you to get out of the water before the shock is applied! Shocked Shocked

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:59 pm

I guess that would suck.

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:31 pm

It would be a shocking experience!! Shocked Shocked

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:52 pm

Check out FRAA.ORG for pictures of this year's shocking.

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:58 pm

cool pics. Is this one a brown trout? (I havn't fished for trout much)

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:38 pm

yeah that looks like a nice brown trout...older male brown trouts develop a curved lower jaw, so im guessing that might be a female, not positive though.

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:09 am

This a practuce done by the DEP and Fishery biologists to asses the abundance as well as growth patterns of this fish in the body of water. It is supposed to not harm the fish in terms of mortality or future growth, Rather is it used to assess to overall staus of the fish population and determine if the water body would benefit from certain restrictions in fish take.

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:29 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links