Dont know if we have anyone from the waterbury area, but i noticed the water level in Scoville Res is very low, as if they were draining it Evil or Very Mad ..and this is definitely bad for fishing...was wondering if anyone knew about why they might being doing this AGAIN..the bass populations are never going to hit the 5 lb mark again at this rate...since its the only fishing spot thats really close to my house im pretty frustrated about it...

Posted Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:26 am

I feel your pain they do the same to Rainbow up my way.

Posted Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:03 am

false alarm..water levels are normal again.. hopefully this isn't because of rain..i want to catch some bowfin this year. seriously, its been over 20 years since i got one at scovilles..

Posted Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:09 pm

I have fished there before. i drove by this winter when there was still snow on the ground and it looked to be completely empty!!! atleast it gets some trout stock (i hope) when they refill it

Posted Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:22 am

wait.. if it was drained all winter(i didnt drive by it) then we couldve lost all the fish(except the bowfin). i did notice a ton of dead sunnys there yesterday in the spot where the bowfin breed. lets hope that isnt the fate of ALL the fish...

Posted Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 am

I live around the corner,and it's been real low all winter. i actually used the opportunity to kinda scout some submerged structure, creek channels etc. it was probably 20' or so at the dam so that might help. dep put 1500 trout in there last year so it was pretty dumb to drain it.

Posted Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Thats too bad they drained it that much!!! its a nice fishin hole. i know they got bowfin, but how the heck ya catch em????? i know i wanted to stop when i saw it so low to scout for structure as well but i was on a mission at the time. last year i think it was i lost something nice there!!!! didnt get a chance to see it but it broke me off on a rock!!!

Posted Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:38 am

it was probably a bowfin or a big pickerel..scovilles has produced both in the past. it USED to have big bass too..but not since the '06 draining. the bowfin will likely survive the draining as they can hibernate in the mud along with gulping air..but their numbers will suffer also as available prey species are mostly gone.bowfin eat what bass eat..but they are less inclined to attack lures..i think they hunt more by smell than sight. if you doused a lure in blood scent it might work..shiners and crayfish are their primary prey usually. but they will eat frogs too. ive seen them explode on surface frogs.

Posted Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:07 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links