Thinking of trying it out. I have a fresh water set up that is a beginners and is probably 20 years old. I know I can't use that set up, so I'm looking for info a a decent set up. I don't want anything too expensive or to cheep. I have been fly fishing off and on for 20 years, but am still a beginner. Also what flies would one use? I would love to hook up a striper, but would settle for anything with gills! Very Happy

Posted Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Some with the powers that be, may want to move this. I just noticed that there is a salt water fly fishing section.

Posted Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:38 pm

no one fly fishes in salt????

Posted Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:54 pm

i have been playing around with flyfishing in the salt for 4 years now,every year i have been doing alittle more.i have been useing my "starter setup".i too didnt want to spend alot to see if i would like it.
my starter set up is a scientific angler 9wt,9 ft floating line.i bought at walmart as a kit.then i paid $40.00.it is a freshwater setup,but as long as you hose it down after you use it and grease the reel it will last.i also use salt away,which i get through bass pro.i wouldnt get anything smaller than a 9wt rod.also the longer the rod the better.
i have added a few things,since i have been getting more into it,like a knotable steel leader,and i bought a 300 gr.fast sink line,for the winter schoolies in norwich.

as far as flies go,clouser minnow works very well,poppers also work .in august just about anything works as long as it imitates bait and has weight.i january j&b tackle,ll bean,kittery ect have sales in saltwater fly kits,where you get 6 or so different flies.
bass and blues are alot of fun on the flyrod,but if you really want action,go to niantic by the bridge when the hickory shad are running.those fish give a battle.i left there because my arm was just too tired.there you want a small fly with alot of weight,due to the currant.what works for me there is i buy the sabicki rig and take it apart and tie on one lure,i also use some split shot.you also have a chance for some large blues and stripers there.
hope this helps you,good luck

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:51 am

Thanks BigO. I will have to look at my rod, I doubt it's close to a 9wt. It may be 9ft, but not sure on the weight. Were do you fish for blues and stripers? The sound? I first got the idea for this watching a few in the harbor fishing for the schoolies. Also I've been watching too many fishing shows. Very Happy A lot of them fly fish in salt. I did see the set ups at walmart. Didn't look to see the sizes. Will have to investigate. Thanks again.

Oh, I'm heading up to southern Maine in a few weeks. I will be going to the trading post! Me and Rob-b are going to try our luck up there.

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:18 am

a little of everywhere,but mainly in the thames

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:28 am

How it going.
I love to fish the salt with my fly rod. I use a 9&8wt 9' rods also. My 9wt is a ST CROIX and the 8wt is a cheap fishing show rod . I only paid $40 bucks for it. The funny thing is I can out cast my 9wt with the cheap rod.(same fly, line,& reel) as for reels my favorite is a cheap OKUMA SLV8/9. This reel has a great drag on it and goes for about $60.

I have to go will post more latter. Hope this helps

Posted Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:28 am

Thanks yank! I'll have to do some more research. Gunna look at Kittery trading post in two weeks. They have a lot of fly stuff. They should be able to show me different set ups.

Elon

Posted Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:41 pm

ehertz
As far as flies, you can keep it simple. I have had good luck with Clousers, Deceivers, Surf Candies, and Flat wings. You can probably catch every fish with either White or Black flies. I do tie my flies in every color in the rainbow but white & black is all you need.

Cablelas' bargin cave has killer deals on fly line. Fly line you should not be cheap with. Stay with the better brand lines. You will be able to cast farther and more importantly not tangle.

If you are going to get a stripping basket. Go to walmart. Buy one of those plastic dish pans for $3.00 . Drill some drain holes in it. Then put a belt or bungee on it. I put plastic wire ties in mine .(To keep tangles down) If you go to Orvis it will cost you about $60 bucks for a stripping basket.

Posted Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:50 pm

Concur on the basket. I went the WalMart route and built it rather than bought it at a fraction. I used weed whacker line rather than wire ties, but it is all the same. There are a bunck of good 'how-to' videos is you google 'stripping basket'. Good luck.

I am going to tackle flies in the salt this year for the first time and am looking forward to it.

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:31 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links