Howdy folks,

Forgive my ignorance, but I have a couple quick questions.

Tomorrow I'm going to have to take the family down to Niantic to Rocky neck beach (they have been bugging me all summer to go down for the day). I loathe the beach, however, I love fishing. I mainly fish lakes and some streams (trout, bass, and panfish).

Without too much of a crazy investment in gear, would it be possible to take my freshwater rig and fish from the jetty?

If I brought a medium/heavy rod, swapped out some heavier line on another spool and picked up a couple of saltwater lures?

If this is not entirely insane, do you have any suggestions for which lures and line?

If this is entirely unwise, let me know.

Thanks,

- derek

Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Your best bet with that gear is getting a few bottom rigs to fish scup/porgy and some cut bait (squid works well and can be picked up anywhere). With a medium heavy fresh water rig you can get away with a really light (1/2-1oz) sinker. You don't need to cast a mile. A 15" scup on freshwater gear is fun to catch. You could try throwing something light like a 3-1/2" Gibbs popper or some soft plastics on light jig heads. Anything heavy will tear up your gear. If there are blues around, they will bite off lighter mono or braid, so you may need a 50lb. mono or steel leaders on lures you cast. I fish 20-30 lb. stripers on mono as light as 12lbs., so with a freshwater reel you could go w/ something like that or a heavier braid. When you get home, rinse and dry everything or you will end up with rusty, corroded gear. I also use a rust inhibitor and conditioner.

Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:38 pm

redneckangler

Your best bet with that gear is getting a few bottom rigs to fish scup/porgy and some cut bait (squid works well and can be picked up anywhere). With a medium heavy fresh water rig you can get away with a really light (1/2-1oz) sinker. You don't need to cast a mile. A 15" scup on freshwater gear is fun to catch. You could try throwing something light like a 3-1/2" Gibbs popper or some soft plastics on light jig heads. Anything heavy will tear up your gear. If there are blues around, they will bite off lighter mono or braid, so you may need a 50lb. mono or steel leaders on lures you cast. I fish 20-30 lb. stripers on mono as light as 12lbs., so with a freshwater reel you could go w/ something like that or a heavier braid. When you get home, rinse and dry everything or you will end up with rusty, corroded gear. I also use a rust inhibitor and conditioner.

Excellent. Thanks for the advice. I have a Pflueger President XT which is supposed to be ok for basic saltwater activities (I believe the finish is somewhat protective). I will still rinse my gear when I get home. Perhaps I'll run out and pickup a basic saltwater rod before we go.

I'm thinking now of picking up some 50lb. braid and then some 50lb. mono for some leaders. Thanks so much for your help. Now I won't dredge heading down to the beach as much tomorrow. Smile

- derek

Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:23 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links