I live in East Windsor and would like recommendations for spots where I can fish the CT River from shore. I'm new to the state and don't know any public access spots. I'm spoiled... when I lived in Minnesota I lived across the street from the Mississippi River. My favorite spot was 312 steps from my front door. Thanks for any recommendations.

Posted Thu May 01, 2014 5:46 pm

I would give it a go at the salmon river area. There is some ways to fish the lower salmon river that would be fun. The section below the bridge is shallow enough in most spots to wade and still have great access to some great fish. I got a 22" brown from that area.

Posted Thu May 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Try under the highway bridge on South Water Street. I have some pretty good luck there when the shad and stripers are running. Also some smallmouth, cats and carp. Same thing under the Rt 140 bridge. Access is pretty easy. Also try farther north on North Water Street under the railroad bridge. A little rocky there but I have pulled some pretty good channel cats and smallmouth out of there. Actually, all along North Water Street is pretty good. Have to walk a little bit to get to the river but worth it. I'm in Windsor Locks so if I'm not out in the boat I'm fishing from shore in any of those spots. As you know the river is a little high right now with all the rain, but give it a week or some and you will be able to find some good spots. Also check out the Canal State Park on the Windsor Locks side. If you don't mind walking or riding a bike a little ways then there is some pretty good river access down there. Right know the walking/riding trail is closed because there are some eagles nesting but it should be open in a few weeks when the chicks are ready to leave the nest.

Posted Fri May 02, 2014 6:23 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links