What a way to start a day, everything seemed fine we had no storms overnight, I was getting ready to go to work when my step son say's
"Did you see the branch that hit the van?" I replied, no I did'nt, did it dent the van??
he says...OH YEAH
So I take a look out the window, my van was a wreck! The van is my work vehicle so this is a major problem.
The interesting thing is this was a perfectly healthy branch and there was no storms or wind at all overnight. I am 90% sure what happened is that there is such a heavy load of acorns on the trees this year that is what brought this log down. I tried to get a picture of the acorns on the limb, but let me say, there was at least 50 lbs of acorns on the ground that had fallen off the limb when it hit the ground.
If you have oaks that are dropping nuts now and you have overhanging limbs over anything, take this as a warning, this years crop of acorns is going to be nuts...no pun intended.
Here are the pics of what I woke to this morning. As you can see the limb had no rot and was perfectly healthy

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Bummer Lung on your truck. I watched birds flocking already in my yard and now a strong acorn mast. Hope it doesn't mean we have to hang on for another bad winter.

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:45 am

damn that sucks!

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:23 am

Def gonna be a cold,snowy winter.......but anyways Lung,you sure somebody didnt come over during the night and take a bow saw to that limb????...you got insurance that will fix it?

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:18 am

Yeah guys it sux, actually the adjuster finally came today to take a look, believe it or not...it's close to being totaled, he needs to check a few more thing out. He said he would call today but never did.
I kept this van mint, I will buy it back I suspect, depending what the final outcome is.
Naahhhh tbob, I don't think they came equipped with a bow saw, if they did this will get interesting Wink

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:25 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links