I learned about this yak recently and wanted to know if anyone has tried it out. It a pretty interesting concept where there are two pontoons that make up the rear part of the boat. When you want to fish you pull a leaver and the pontoons open to a 45 degree angle. at this point you can stand and cast. The boat has a "Bar" that raises up and is used as a hand hold. I wonder how it tracks compared to a traditional boat.
Thanks,
Rob

www.freedomhawkkayaks.com

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:46 am

I purchased my first yak a few months ago so I'm still new but did alot of research before I bought one.I've seen the freedomhawk,heard it's really heavy and the whole outrigger thing seems a little gimmicky,not for me.I can stand in mine,only do it once in awhile to stretch my legs.Haven't tried casting while standing yet but I'm pretty sure I can do it on a calm day.There are alot of yaks that you can stand in,all the big Malibu's,the Cobra Fish n Dive and a few more but knowing what I know now,I would have opted for a slimmer,less "stable" yak.The big ones with a wide beam(mine is 33")are more work to paddle and it takes you longer to get where you're going.If I could or when I purchase another it will probably be an OK with a 28" beam.

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:40 am

Thanks for the input. I have never fished in a yak before and want to be able to fly fish for bass in one. I have used a canoe for years and own a Mad River-17' which is great with two people, but want to look at something for going solo. Have you fly fished in your boat? Throwing big bass bugs can rock a boat! With that in mind, would you recommend a smaller beam (28") or something larger like you have.
Rob

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:07 am

I don't fly fish at all so I can't really give you good advice on that one.My instinct tells me that you might want the bigger beam for your application,they have what is called primary stability which means that it just feels really very stable,the ones with slimmer beams have secondary stability which means that they feel really tippy,every time you shift your weight the boat rolls one way or the other,but it only rolls to a certain point and then it stiffens up or the good ones are supposed to any way.In the hands of an experienced kayaker,the slimmer ones are also supposed to be good for really rough seas.Before you make a purchase I would seek someone out who does flyfishing from a yak though.There are a couple of very knowledgeable flyfishermen on here,just not sure if they ever do it from a yak.

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:56 pm

I own and fly fish from a 12' Heritage Featherlite Kayak in both fresh and saltwater.The beam is 30 inches and tracks very well. It took some getting used to in order to sit and cast effectively. I use the kayak in salt ponds, saltwater creeks and backwaters and on open water flats in good conditions. I also target carp in the Mattabassett River - Cromwell / Middletown.
Last year, I hooked my first False Albacore inside Napatree from the Kayak... Wow!!! Bluefish are tough as I will not bring them aboard - must get them on the Boca...

Posted Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:14 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links