Officials: Avoid Contact With Conn. River

Electrical Outage At Waste Water Plant May Have Affected Water, Officials Say

POSTED: 10:36 am EDT May 25, 2009
UPDATED: 3:16 pm EDT May 25, 2009
ENFIELD, Conn. -- Full power was restored to the Enfield Wastewater Treatment Plant on Monday afternoon after a warning was issued to residents about possible contamination to the Connecticut River.

Department of Environmental Protection officials said the wastewater discharged from the water pollution control facility was once again being treated properly as of 1:30 p.m.
Residents were warned early Monday to avoid direct contact with the water in the Connecticut River between Enfield and Middletown.
Though power has been restored, they said residents shouldn't wade or swim in the river until Tuesday.
Officials said an electrical outage caused by a fire in an electrical panel sometime after 10 p.m. on Sunday disrupted the treatment of wastewater being discharged from the Enfield facility.
Electrical contractors were called to the scene to repair the damage caused by the fire.
While the full power needed for sanitary treatment was knocked out overnight, officials said systems allowing for the primary treatment of the waste through settling were still functioning. They said that meant no solid particles were discharged into the river.
Center officials said workers put a portable generator in place for the disinfection system Monday morning until power was completely restored.
Officials said the plant discharges about four million gallons of treatment wastewater into the Connecticut River each day

Posted Mon May 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Dude what the f*** Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Posted Mon May 25, 2009 7:18 pm

Posted Tue May 26, 2009 5:43 am

same ole same ole

Posted Tue May 26, 2009 8:18 am

Happens at the Wethersfield cove quite often.

Posted Tue May 26, 2009 9:35 am

I was out on the river and noticed some foam that weekend. The water was to cold for swimming so I'm not worried. the river is cleaner than it ever has been. Ask Roland Martin. I have a good story to tell some time!

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 pm

Still pretty new to the northeast,been here only 15 months and I'm always interested in some history,like to hear your story Jeepin whenever you have the time to tell it.

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:29 am

Back in the 90s, Bass Masters had a tourny on the CT River. Roland Martin drove his boat over the rocks in Enfield. He wrecked the boat, got a new one the next day and since he was fishing in "vergin waters" he won the tourny to the tune of 2 million dollors! It's been said that he pissed off alot of fisherman by doing so! ...I grew up in the 60s boating on the river. In those days it was called the most scenic septic tank in the country. It was normal to see sh*t as we swam. The color of the water was worse than brown and digging in the sand stirred up piles of foam that was colored orange. Most towns dumped their untreated sewage and other industrial chemicals directly into the river. Somewhere along the line the Salmon disappeared and large fish kills were common also. Water fowl such as Egrets, Osprey, cormerants and eagles were no where to be seen. It was also common for us kids to have diarea the next day after swimming. ........Thanks to the Federal Clean Water Act in the early 70s the river began to get better. With the ban of DDT fish eating birds started to multiply. DDT was an insecticide and it deformed the eggs and made the shells soft and cracked open during incubation. Now that chemical dumping is banned and heavely fined and with the modernization of sewage treatment plants, the CT river and others are now clean and fish and wild life is everywhere. Bald Eagles are now nesting here and if you never saw a nest, it's awsome. They are huge and can weigh up to 2000 pounds since the pair return and build apon the same nest as the previous year. Anyway, Bass Masters have been here several times and have high praise for what the river has become.

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:12 am

Interesting stuff,good thing there aren't anymore floaters otherwise I'd have to find somewhere else to fish,Thanks Jeepin.

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Aqualung is right about Weathersfield Cove. I remember hearing about 25 MILLION gallons of sewage go into the cove. The plant is next to the cove and Hartfords septic system is old. Also the storm drains are part of the system. In heavy rain and a power outage when the pumps shut down, disaster happens. In recient years, Hartford and surrounding towns are paying a higher tax and the system is being up-graded. Soon, we can eat all the CARP we want! LOL! [/quote]

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:30 pm

I've noticed that Wethersfield does stink from time to time,tons of garbage in there too,that's one reason it really ticks me off when they charge me 15 bucks to launch there,also KeeneyCove smelled REAL bad last weekend,smelled like cow sh*t,must have been farm run-off after the rain.I was damn near dry heaving when I paddled in there and loaded up my kayak.

Posted Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:19 am

CT Fish Finder

Social Links