I was out bass fishing today and i got hooked up with something i've never seen before. I thought it was a white perch at first but when i got it in the boat i didn't recognize it. It had a really small face (head?) and no spikes, a tall body and was kind of gold and shiny. It was probably 9-10 inches long. It also was grunting while I was taking the hook out of its face. I'm sure this is a comon species, I would just like to know what it is. Someone at the boat ramp said it might be a dace. Any one else catch one of these before? I shoulda took a picture........

Posted Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Not sure,but definetely not a dace,they have more of a cigar like profile I think,if it was soft spined,could be from the minnow family,a buffalo perhaps?

Posted Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:32 am

Or maybe a Hickory Shad?I don't know I'm guessing here,I like a good "fish mystery".Anyone else got any ideas?

Posted Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:37 am

I looked into it after reading your reply and I beleive it was a bigmouth buffalo. The pictures I found looked really similar. Thanks for your help!

Posted Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:13 am

no problem

Posted Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:31 am

A big mouth Baffalo? Never heard of it, where were you fishing? My first guess was a Golden Shiner or a Sucker!

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:43 am

After an internet search, it seems it may have been a carp as they grow over 30 pounds. I'm always amazed at what I see in and around our waters. On Saturday, I saw a big river Otter and since my dog didn't eat his dinner, I fed it to a skunk last night! LOL!!

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:56 am

I dont think it was a carp, i could be wrong but I caught it on a floating jointed rapala and i dont think carp eat minnows, maybe they would though...... but after i looked up what a buffalo was, the picture was pretty much dead on. I was fishing at lake winnemaug...... i know there is carp in there but i think they have small whiskers on their mouth and my fish definetly didn't.....

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:54 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links