I recently suffered an injured Rhomboid muscle/nerve from casting! It is to the point that after about one hour it is almost intolerable pain. I say almost intolderable because I continue to fish for six or seven hours after that. The pain is basiclly under and around my right shoulder blade in my upper back and burns like heck while fishing. Has anyone ever had this happen to them before and if so what did you do to make it stop(besides not fishing for a while as my Dr suggested....wrong!!!).

Posted Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:24 am

that is tragic, if you cant give it up, you may switch to live bait= boring while it heals, or learn to cast with the other hand. This would be a major PTIA, but would make you unstoppable.

Posted Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 am

Yea I can feel your pain bud I have some joint issues the flair up from time to time ..thank god for my comfortable fishing char in my boat ...when my hands and arms get real bad I spend some time draging bottom baits on a wind drift ...And a lond rod with 2 handed cast keeps the shoulder movement to a minimum ...... In the long run it comes down to my love of fishing can be a pain Very Happy

Posted Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:40 am

I feel your pain, literally. I've been having the same problem. I went to chiropratic & orthopedic surgeon with no help. I finally found an excellent massage therapist who finally brought me some relief. In addition I take two Advil about an hour before I head out and I'm learning to fish with both arms. Switching between the two arms definately helps as does "passive" fishing such as live bait and drop-shotting.
Good Luck.

Posted Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Having somebody's thumbs up under your scapula is a good start to work out any knots. Anti-inflammatory is key. Ibuprofen is your friend, but you cant just take it when it hurts. There are script meds that will help, but I'm not going there here. Gotta let the meds work for a while. Rest is also paramount. Figure out a way to make that happen. 200 cast trips will make this burn like a branding iron. That's the start to working on the muscular-skeletal issues. An ortho-neuro consult is in order if you dont get relief after a while. I tore the sh*t out of mine lifting a fat as* in the ER. It was a long road back.

Posted Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:39 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links