I bought a St. Croix mojo bass 6'8" extra fast rod over the winter and lately I've been losing a lot of fish. This is the first time i am fishing with a fast action rod. Anybody have any tips or suggestions for me? It will be greatly appreciated.

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:02 pm

I have a 7' Mojo Bass, fast action. Are you getting a solid hookset? This time of year with cooler temps a lot of the bass will bump the lure or shortstrike, which can get frustrating. The fast action, especially with a braid gives you a lot of contact with the fish and not as much of a long flex in the rod and line stretch before hooksets. The plus is that you can hit fast, the down is you can rip it out fast too. I'm sure some of the hardcore bass anglers in here will chime in.

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:41 pm

with an extra fast rod you should be getting awsome hook sets, if your not ripping it all the way out. The problem is there is not a lot of give and its easier for the fish to throw the hook once you set it. There is always a compromise, and the speed will help you out when fishing single hooks, and will help drive that hook threw the hard jaw. Crank bait rods are much slower for that reason. If your throwing braid line, and would like to slow the setup as a hole switching to a line with more give like a mono or floro, will help even you out a little. The supperfast rods are normaly used for drop shot or other subtle techniques, or for fliping where the fish is almost airborne, using braid i watch video's of the fish being yanked right out of the water.

Posted Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:23 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links