Norwich, Conn. —

If the Harbor Management Commission has its way, the city’s boat launch at Howard T. Brown Memorial Park would be relocated to a larger site off Shipping Street with direct access to the Thames River.

Officials next week will tour two parcels at the former industrial site with property owners, state leaders and others in hopes of striking a deal that could free up land for a new launch.

“Basically, what we want to do is give people access to the river, and do it safely. Plus there are a number of residual spin-offs that could serve as some type of catalyst for other types of development down there,” commission Chairman John Paul Mereen said.

Read more: Norwich angles for bigger boat launch - Norwich, CT - The Bulletin http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/x297841096/Norwich-angles-for-bigger-boat-launch#ixzz1o3tWhU8z

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:56 am

That would be sweet...but also would make more of a circus for the harbor area when the fish are in. As it is now boats larger than 20 feet find it difficult to launch there, trailer parking is one of the main issues and that's why I would get there at 4 in the morning to avoid that hassle.

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:19 pm

it is much easier to launch from dock rd and run upriver,doing that you are also able fish into the harbor

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:47 pm

Montville launch??

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Big O is talking about the one near Pleasure Beach (the one you told me about but never been to.) No way in heck you're launching anything over 20' there unless you can afford to buy a new boat after you're done fishing. Lots of shallow rocks right in front of the launch.

Posted Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:26 am

yes in montville it a 15 min run to norwich,
no not that one carp,that one is alittle far from the thames river

http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/coastalaccess/site.asp?siteid=97

Posted Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:52 am

bigoutdoors

it is much easier to launch from dock rd and run upriver,doing that you are also able fish into the harbor

That's a shakey launch, with no dock as I recall, parking is minimal and risky. It's ok for a tin can and an old beater in my opinion.

Posted Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:14 pm

no they havent put the docks in last year.they were up on shore,but when i was there last fall,a 24 ft launched with no problems

Posted Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:45 pm

CT Fish Finder

Social Links